What's new

Second Regiment of Foot button

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I headed back to my favorite Colonial site to continue sifting the site of the plantation house. Previously I had found a number of British Revolutionary War relics, including uniform buttons from the 30th Regiment of Foot, 71st Regiment and Royal Provencials in addition to a large number of 18th century civilian relics.

Right out of the gate the sifter turned up more pipe stem pieces and ceramic pottery shards-and of course plenty of square nails. Here are some of the shards that I sifted out.

20161019_211210.webp

Many sifts later I was sorting through the debris in the sifter and noticed a round metal object about the size of a dime. After gently rubbing some of the dirt off I realized it was a pewter button with scrolling around the edge. At first I thought it was a civilian button, but then I saw numbers lightly etched in the center. It was a 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) uniform button, roughly half the size of the coat button I found on the site earlier this year.

20161019_211805.webp 20161019_225753 (1).webp

Here are the two buttons side by side

20161017_133156.webp

Later in the day I was surprised to see this two-tined fork pop up in the sifter, with the entire bone handle intact

20161016_125411.webp

The sifter continued to produce, including two iron buckles and the tip of a skeleton key

20161019_211051.webp

After every second or third sift I swung the coil over the sift pile and in the hole. This produced several small relics, including this pewter piece that I think was the top of a two piece button; it has rusted iron on the back side.

20161017_132425.webp

Using this method I found my first "blowhole" button; it had slipped through the mesh screen.
20161019_212048.webp 20161019_212200.webp

And of course found a a few whatsits...

20161019_210914.webp

At the end of the day I walked the adjacent creek with the hopes of finding fossils or relics that Hurricane Matthew might have washed out. I found both-a fossilized mammal leg bone an a piece of 18th century floor tile that likely was from the plantation home.

20161019_211306.webp

Here are my finds for the day

20161019_210617.webp

The fork cleaned up nicely. Here it is before I started the process
20161016_125246.webp

I ran it through my electrolysis tank

20161016_132756.webp

20161016_211352 (1).webp

Then I immersed it in microcrystalline wax that I melted on my gas grill until all of the moisture was gone
20161016_211239 (1).webp

20161016_212027.webp

As always it was a fun day at the site; I always come home with interesting stuff from there. Can't wait to get back and do some more sifting.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 20
I forgot to add this picture in my original post-it's the Swamp Pit last Saturday. I had planned to dig it some more in the afternoon but Hurricane Matthew turned it into a lake.
 

Attachments

  • 1477004286881.webp
    1477004286881.webp
    165.5 KB · Views: 149
Thanks Jon-you know it's my favorite site
 
Very impressive finds and technique, really cool to see. Thanks!
 
that fork is sweet!
 
Congrats on some nice finds, and a very nice button.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom