Second Time at a School Playgound with my NEW Ace 250

bobm31

Dec 18, 2005
Rowlett, TX (Dallas)
I went to two elementary schools today, my THIRD DAY OUT with my NEW Ace 250. This will be the last of my DAILY REPORTS. I will only post when I have found something of significance or have something of substance to offer the forum.

School Number 1:
Found three pennies (1993, 2000, 2005) all IDed as pennies
Found one "silver" dime (1964), IDed as a dime

School Number 2:
Found one penny (1993), IDed as penny
Found one dime (1991), IDed as dime
Found one quarter (1989), IDed as quarter
Found one wooden pencil with eraser, IDed as nickel

The dime and quarter came out of the same hole. The initial ID was a dime. I started digging couldn't find anything then checked the hole again and it IDed as a quarter. After a little more digging, I found the quarter. Then remembering that the target first IDed as a dime. I checked the site again and it IDed as a dime. After a little more sifting through the dirt, I found the dime.

The Ace 250's discrimination is excellent. I have pretty much learned to tell nickels from pull-tabs and coins from "trash". The pin-pointing works well in "clean areas"; however, in trashy areas (lots of pull-tabs, nails, scraps of metal, etc) the PINPOINT feature is useless since it operates in the ALL METAL mode. In these situations, I just "X" the target, mark the spot and dig.

The Ace 250 doesn't miss any coins! I am very happy with it.

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds bob!!!

;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
great finds especially the silver dime! i have and ace 250 as well and i like mine too! my only two complaints ( if you can call them that) are i wish it had manual ground balance and it is a bit lacking in the depth department,but for a $200 detector what can i expect! the good things about this machine far outweigh the bad.

OP
OP
bobm31

bobm31

Dec 18, 2005
Rowlett, TX (Dallas)
hollowpointred said:
great finds especially the silver dime! i have and ace 250 as well and i like mine too! my only two complaints ( if you can call them that) are i wish it had manual ground balance and it is a bit lacking in the depth department,but for a $200 detector what can i expect! the good things about this machine far outweigh the bad.

Hollowpointred:

My Ace 250 detects coins as deep as I want to dig in this HARD north Texas black clay soil. The Ace 250 will detect pennies, nickels and dimes up to 6" at 5 BARS SENSITIVITY...deeper at higher sensitiviity. I believe that 90% (or more) of all coins (also rings & jewelry) are found at less than 5" deep.

As far as ground balance is concerned, I have not had any problems at 5 BARS. Garrett uses a fixed frequency of 6.5 kHz for the Ace 250 because the lower frequencies are affected less by ground minerals; hence, the "pre-set" or "fixed" ground balance used on the Ace 250.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
P.S. My Ace 250 is a Christmas present from my wife...opened it a week early.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
bobm31 said:
hollowpointred said:

Hollowpointred:

My Ace 250 detects coins as deep as I want to dig in this HARD north Texas black clay soil. The Ace 250 will detect pennies, nickels and dimes up to 6" at 5 BARS SENSITIVITY...deeper at higher sensitiviity. I believe that 90% (or more) of all coins (also rings & jewelry) are found at less than 5" deep.

As far as ground balance is concerned, I have not had any problems at 5 BARS. Garrett uses a fixed frequency of 6.5 kHz for the Ace 250 because the lower frequencies are affected less by ground minerals; hence, the "pre-set" or "fixed" ground balance used on the Ace 250.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
P.S. My Ace 250 is a Christmas present from my wife...opened it a week early.

thats probably pretty darn close to what kind of depth i get as well. the only ground balance problems i really ever have are when im pinpointing and the machine nulls out on me. not that it happens a whole lot though. if thats all i ever have to worry about im doing pretty good! sounds like you owe the wife one!! the ace looks like a gift your gonna get a lot of use out of!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread