Greenie
Jan 7, 2019
New England
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have searched the web and this site for information relating to the regulations for MD’ing on Massachusetts beaches. It seems there are some varying opinions and I am hoping to find a little clarity. I am sure this topic gets beat to death, but it just seems unclear to me.

I would like to keep this topic as focused as possible as I am sure this can become a disputed topic. We all know how absurd Mass can be so I am trying to avoid going down that road. I really appreciate the input and for respecting my desire to find the facts as it relates to this. I understand that on occasion, special permission may be obtained, but I am exclusively interested to know about situations that require no special permission. I just want to walk into the beach and get to work, if it is in fact allowed. I understand some people may roll the dice when the beaches are off season and so forth, but I am trying to get to the bottom of what is truly allowed under the law...

#1- It appears to me that MD’ing May be allowable at state and local beaches from the dune line to the waters edge.

#2 - MD on federal beaches is forbidden entirely.

Thoughts?

Is there a list any club maintains of acceptable beaches or forbidden beaches in Massachusetts.

Thanks for your help.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here on Cape Cod, MA...

As of last summer, Nickerson SP required me to request permission to detect (the water only, no land) the day before I wanted to detect. They are also charging for entrance to the beach areas - $15 for the day.
I have only detected in Shawme State Forest one time and that was after season and for a lost wedding band (I did not have to dig to retrieve the ring). I understand they did not allow any digging in the park.
As you said, FEDERAL land and beaches are OFF limits. They can confiscate detecting equipment, car, an arrest and a fine are possible.
Town fresh water beaches vary, I will only detect AFTER and BEFORE the life guards are on duty and not during the time the parks are closed as on posted signs.
Town salt water beaches are more lax due to the wide open area, especially on the bay side. I always play it safe and talk to the life guard when they are on duty. And always stay away from the swimmers.

Parking can be as high as $35 a day, and if you are not out of the parking lot when they close your car may be locked in until the morning. Where there is no attendant on duty, parking during the beache's open time without a permit or day pass can cost you $50. And if you have a dog with you (on a town beach fresh or salt)...another fine of $300 may be imposed on you.
Parking off season is FREE. As always, rules, regulations and restrictions vary and may change from year to year.
Feel free to PM me and perhaps we can get together when you vacation here.

OP
OP
F

Fizzle

Greenie
Jan 7, 2019
New England
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. That is helpful. I was considering some off season detecting as the beaches are wide open.

I will have to review the beaches to see what government body regulates it. I was hoping to hit some Atlantic side beaches such as horse neck in Westport or perhaps something in Falmouth.

I’m trying to do the right thing but the obscure rules are not easy to navigate.

Just to be sure I understand...you mentioned that Nickerson required you to notify to work in the water. Is working in the sand permissible without notification?

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
DRC regulates the state parks. The towns regulate their own beaches and, of course the National Parks are off limits to detecting.

Your good to go to the salt water beaches. Horseneck does lock the the gates at sunset during the winter hours. There is no way out, and a very long walk to anywhere this time of the year.

At Nickerson...there is a guard on the gate, even this time of the year, yet not for the total day. They do stop you and ask were you are going if you do not have a camper's card showing in the car's window. The sand area is rather small and shallow as sand goes before you hit dirt. A gentle push with your foot and you can find anything that is there, most of the time. Years ago I asked about detecting on the land to find a lost wedding band. The answer was..."OK but, DIGGING is NOT allowed."

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... special permission may be obtained,.....

Sheesk, let me guess where you are getting this: You googled it, and ... presto, something about "with permission " or "ask at each kiosk" type answer came up . Right ?

Let me give you a bit of background on how such wonderful answers (which now made their way onto compendium lists and google hits) ever came into being, in the first place:

Someone(s), way-back-when, went and asked. Eg.: "Hi, can I metal detect?" or "Hi, what are your rules/laws regarding such & such?". And the person whose desk that landed on, must answer the "pressing question", so ... guess what answer that is ?

Naturally, it's going to land on the desk of an archie. And admittedly, some parks (or beaches or whatever) *might* be sensitive monuments. So guess what their answer will be ?

So too was it with State of CA parks dept. When this "pressing question" landed on their desk in the mid 1980s . "Ask at each kiosk" type answer came out. And this cut & paste answer therefore makes it's way onto every list thereafter. Meanwhile, old-timers (like me) are left scratching their head saying "since when?" and "We hunt here all the time and no one cares?".

So what I'm trying to say is: Sometimes you have to read between the lines. You are NEVER going to get any ruling authority/entity to have any sort of express "allowance" . Ie.: As if you're waiting for a sign or law that says "metal detecting allowed here".

Instead, if it's silent on the subject, then presto, it's not dis-allowed.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And if someone , after this, comes on with admittedly dire-sounding wording (to counter my "just go" stance), then here's what I have to say about that : Guess how their dire-sounding stance/link/text came about ?

OP
OP
F

Fizzle

Greenie
Jan 7, 2019
New England
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for weighing in Tom. I would guess 99 times out of 100 you are spot on. In government, there is often no one empowered to make a decision, forget an educated or reasonable decision. This is the world we live in.

I don’t have any issue with pushing back, if the rules, or lack thereof are on my side. But if there are black and white rules, I need to know them so I can push back accordingly. Sounds to me that, at least in Massachusetts:

1. Town beaches are fair play
2. State beaches are fair play, but no “digging” with the exception of beach area between the surf and the dunes
3. National seashores are forbidden.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread