Sell 40%ers and buy American Silver Eagles???

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell 40%'ers and buy American Silver Eagles???

Hey Hey,

So, I've been tossing an idea around for a couple of days. I'd like to use one of my life-lines and "poll the audience":

Is it a good idea to sell the 40%'ers and use the money to buy American Silver Eagles??

Here's my thinking:
- I've seen some rolls of 40%'ers going for a small percentage over spot on eBay (always as a Buy-It-Now, never at auction.). Coinflation is saying a roll of 40's is worth $81.05. Whose to say I can't take a stab at listing a roll at $85-90 and see if anyone bites. If I am able to do that, I'll be close to spot once the fees are taken out. Maybe Craigslist is a better option??

- The prices for a roll (20) of American Silver Eagles is all over the place. I've seen some rare opportunities where a roll was $30 above spot. But those good deals are far and few between.

OR....

Do I just hold on to everything?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
TGB

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't forget the Libertads!

Gov't issued bullion has the advantage of being just that, but it comes with a higher premium for that "Guarantee"

You could also buy generic rounds / bars J&M, Englehard, Sunshine mint, apmex, etc theres a few others that are of high repute, but you have to be more wary of forgeries.

Also stick with 1oz rounds / bars , if you are buying huge quantities maybe get some 5oz and 10oz , but I would avoid the 100oz bars and larger.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
When upgrading from junk silver, I'd stick with the Eagles or other .999 bullion. IMO it's not worth going with .958 Britannias, unless you want just a couple as a collector. I don't see paying a $5-7 premium over spot for .958 bullion coins.

The Britannia will be switching to .999 in 2013, so by all means pickup as many of those as you want when they come out. Unless the premium goes down when they start producing more of them to compete with the other mints, the better investment for larger quantities is in Eagles, Maples and Philharmonics.

The thing I like about Britannias is that they are collector coins. If we had a sudden drop in the silver price, to $10, an Eagle would be worth $10 maybe $12. For example, I looked up Apmex's site via the wayback machine to October of 2008. Silver spot was $11.57

A Silver Britannia was selling for $32+ ($32 was for the 2008 issue, others ranged from $40 all the way to $60) On the other hand, silver Eagles were selling for $17 (the wayback machine didn't cache generic bars/rounds so I can't look up their prices)

Of course if silver shoots up to $50 and beyond, Eagles are going to outperform the Britannia hands down. But, if we have corrections back down to lower prices, (keep in mind that it was a few short years ago CRHers were excited that silver was above $15 an ounce!)

It all comes down to how you invest, myself, I like to cover all my bases, gold, silver, copper, collector coins, stocks, etc. rather than keep all my eggs in one basket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread