Selling spent rifle and pistol cartridges for scrap.

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
I sold some aluminum scrap today and while I was at the scrapyard I asked the scalemaster about selling spent shell casings. In the past they didn't buy them for fear of getting a shell with a live round or just even a liver primer still in the shell. He said they buy them now (in Chattanooga) and told me how to separate them out. First check them with a magnet to see if any are steel (4 to 8 cents a pound) then separate the nonmagnetic, chromed ones out (not sure what these would bring) then what is left is yellow brass (about $1.55 per pound). I've got a gallon container of these and I'll sell them soon. Regards, Chris Hyder.

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
before you scrap em out check if they can be reloaded,brass shell casings are at a premium.you can get more than srcap price on those.

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
Really?
A few years ago I was walking throught an area and came apon a place used by people to shoot.

Walking through was ka-chin, ka-chin with ever step by the inches of shell casing that littered the ground in all directions for yards. I picked up a gallon bucket of 9mm,.41 mag,.44 mag......

Aufinder01

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
This kid was doing it the stupid way.
http://www.optonline.net/Article/print_article?CID=type=xml&channel=32&article=22160957

Teen Hurt Whacking Bullets With Hammer

A teenager who put bullets in a vise and whacked them with a hammer to empty the brass shell casings was wounded in the abdomen by approximately the 100th bullet he hit, according to Warren County deputies.

Damion M. Mosher, 18, had been discharging .223-caliber rounds, placing them in a steel vise, putting a screwdriver on the primer, and striking the screwdriver with the hammer, deputies said.

Deputies were called to his home in Lake Luzerne shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday when one bullet went about a half-inch into his abdomen. He was treated at Glens Falls Hospital and was released. No charges were filed.

Mosher told authorities he was trying to empty the rounds to collect the brass casings for scrap.

Sheriff Larry Cleveland said about 100 other rounds that Mosher hit had "fizzled," but one was somehow sent with more force. It was unclear if the bullet ricocheted or hit him directly.

An employee of Capitol Scrap Co. in Albany said Monday the business pays $1.70 a pound for scrap brass shell casings.

Cleveland said Mosher's shells amounted to just a few pounds.

Lake Luzerne, at the southeastern edge of the Adirondacks, is 45 miles north of Albany.

___

Information from: The Post-Star, http://www.poststar.com

© Copyright 2007 CSC Holdings, Inc.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
friggin kids. if heda ask me i would have spent them for him and sent him the shells back. gees.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i was just going to put a posting on brass rounds, i have a 5 gallon 3/4 full from my ar, sweet;)

L

lbrombach

There are reloader that buy brass. Could try ebay even, will probably get better than scrap, but less that from a reloader.

What a waste of .223 rounds. Those sell for about .30 cents each. Shoot, even for questionable stuff I know guys that would pay a dime to 15 cents a round easy.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i have to go through my brass, i used mostly mil ammo for my rifle but alot of nice shells for my old thompson cont

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only scrap them if you don't have a buyer to reload them or if you reload yourself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread