Settings

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I just got my Simplex back from warranty repair. The spot I’m on has a lot of ferrous material: farm equipment pieces, fence wire, hinges, etc. Before repair, I used it in Field mode only. I wanted to see everything. I’ve read the manual and still have a question: Park 1 vs Park 2. The difference doesn’t seem very substantial. What do you prefer and why? I’m hoping to find my first coin with this machine. I don’t care if it’s a 2023 nickel. Thanks for any input.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I just got my Simplex back from warranty repair. The spot I’m on has a lot of ferrous material: farm equipment pieces, fence wire, hinges, etc. Before repair, I used it in Field mode only. I wanted to see everything. I’ve read the manual and still have a question: Park 1 vs Park 2. The difference doesn’t seem very substantial. What do you prefer and why? I’m hoping to find my first coin with this machine. I don’t care if it’s a 2023 nickel. Thanks for any input.
Up-date. I took it out this afternoon and found many ferrous items: see photo for the 3 largest. I was in Park 2 mode. The manual says this mode will show ferrous targets between 0-15. ID. 43-99 for non ferrous such as silver, brass and copper. The long dog chain ID’d at 73, the lever ID’d at 82 and the short machine chain ID’d at 62. I thought that possibly something else was in the same spots, so after removing these items I swept them again. None of them had another signal at that point. This is confusing. Basically it doesn’t appear to really discriminate. I checked the 3 items and they are all definitely ferrous. I also found a lot of wire and nails: every hit was ID’d at 35 or higher. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 393ED354-F953-41C1-AD47-4FE1774F78CD.jpeg
    393ED354-F953-41C1-AD47-4FE1774F78CD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Up-date. I took it out this afternoon and found many ferrous items: see photo for the 3 largest. I was in Park 2 mode. The manual says this mode will show ferrous targets between 0-15. ID. 43-99 for non ferrous such as silver, brass and copper. The long dog chain ID’d at 73, the lever ID’d at 82 and the short machine chain ID’d at 62. I thought that possibly something else was in the same spots, so after removing these items I swept them again. None of them had another signal at that point. This is confusing. Basically it doesn’t appear to really discriminate. I checked the 3 items and they are all definitely ferrous. I also found a lot of wire and nails: every hit was ID’d at 35 or higher. Is this normal?
Out again this evening. A little better Park 2 mode. Found several chunks of aluminum cans, foil etc. they were all ID’d around 83. At least it wasn’t ferrous this time. Then I found the items in the photo. All of them were ferrous metal (except the pottery piece). They all scored between 54 and 87. Once the rust gets so bad, does the composition change? I’m struggling with these IDs. I’m not unhappy with the finds. I just want to understand my machine better so that I build a level of trust when using it. I don’t expect perfection. What am I missing?

Attachments

• AF7F291B-1F33-4DA5-9A7D-B7DA17A2DFF3.jpeg
    AF7F291B-1F33-4DA5-9A7D-B7DA17A2DFF3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +