>> Doesn't make sense to my that they'd bring the ore across the river bed to process. Too sandy ....
I agree with that idea, the West side was where I was first concentrating. If you search on Smiths Mill there's a short note about the owner selling out and the stamp moving 3 miles (down ? the Hassayampa). I'll see if I can find the reference again....
Here it is...from the following site...I cant vouch for the veracity of the information on this site though...
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/smithsmill.html
P.W. "Bill" Smith erected a ten stamp mill, after the failure of the Vulture mill in 1873, to serve the Vulture Mine. It operated for five years and a small settlement of about a hundred people lived around and worked in the mill. Mr. Smith had had enough after five years and the operation was sold and moved three more miles down the Hassayampa river to Seymour. Today there is nothing but tailings left
There is an amazing amount of information online about the Walnut Grove Water Storage Company, and the resulting flood that wiped out Seymour.
When az first brought up this thread I snooped around a bit on google maps and found this spot on the West side. Interesting...looks like the land has been worked quite a bit, maybe foundations etc ? I don't think it's a cattle pen since it's on top of small hills...anyway, just another avenue to search on.
33.847331, -112.669891
regards,
Jim