What's new

Shell Caseing ID Help

EdistoDigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
54
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
I found this caseing on a site that I have found confederate relics in the past. Any idea what type of gun would have fired this ??

Thanks,

EdistoDigger
 

Attachments

  • SANY1685.webp
    SANY1685.webp
    107.4 KB · Views: 329
  • SANY1694.webp
    SANY1694.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 320
Hard to say without some precise measurements, but possibly a .44 Henry or .56 Spencer rimfire. Could well be old enough to be a CW cartridge case (shell casings go into shotguns or cannon).

Jump to the below site and see if the marking in the center of the base matches any of the stampings.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2763
 
Upvote 0
Need some measurements and a real good picture of the base of the cartridge to be able to tell precisely. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Hi,
I think I see a Cross on the bottom of the case, if it is, it is more than likely this shell here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128800221

The 10.4 or 41 swiss rimfire has dual firing pins on both sides of the bolt, and this was struck twice. once on the top, and once on the bottom. probably cause it did not fire the first time.
These rifles were sold as surplus since the early 1900's so they are fairly common to most all parts of the country. the case you have looks to be swiss military, the rifles were sold in enough quantity that here in the states that remington produced the ammo for it till after ww2.
 
Upvote 0
steif, I think you got it. I believe this case is closed. Book 'em Dano! Monty
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom