Shield from a 1790 farm.

Sticks907

Mar 10, 2007
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Found this, seems like the some of the metal is lead and the interior is clay mixed with jute. Not very strong nor big. Other parts seem to be copper. I was about to toss it when I saw the shield. Looks like the surrounding metal has some patterns like flowers. The back side is plain and flat, with no visible markings. Thanks for any input..

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 84
  • CROP-IMG_1705b.jpg
    CROP-IMG_1705b.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 77
I don't know what to make of the piece! It appears somewhat to be a Counterfeited Early U.S. coin that swoll up and blew apart. The odd thing, is the double rim as if it was double struck unless there are two of the items/coins. This is definitely something one would need in hand to truly examine it to determine what it is and what happened!

Frank

Upvote 0
Hi Frank, it seems to be more of a clip or pin. Like a figure 8 folded in half. Really do not think there is anything about this counterfeit. It comes from a very old farm in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't seem to be attempting to duplicate any coin. At first I thought it was a to make a wax seal or some type of a paper imprint or seal. There is definitely some sort of a fiber and clay mix between the 2 metal plates. Thanks for looking and your input.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back