What's new

Shipwreck artifact

SteveS

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
58
Reaction score
39
Golden Thread
0
This bronze type alloy wedge was found on a wreck in Bahamas dating around 1798 to 1815 or so. Believe it was a French ship. Lots of musket balls, cannon balls. Thought maybe some kind of cannon wedge but usually were wood and never seen one like this. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • 20171001_182444.webp
    20171001_182444.webp
    202 KB · Views: 124
  • 20171001_182504.webp
    20171001_182504.webp
    190.7 KB · Views: 93
I found this info in Wikipedia... could this be what you found, I think you maybe right? :dontknow:

"A carronade is a short, smooth bore, cast-iron cannon. In some versions, a wedge was placed underneath the chamber to control elevation, while in later versions an elevating screw was used."

I wonder if 'TheCannonballGuy' might know?

Dave

 

Attachments

  • Antoine_Morel-Fatio_pl10.webp
    Antoine_Morel-Fatio_pl10.webp
    69.4 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
I think Dave has it! Wedges were used on early ship's cannon for elevation. We have a firing model of the one Dave posted.
I found this info in Wikipedia... could this be what you found, I think you maybe right? :dontknow:

"A carronade is a short, smooth bore, cast-iron cannon. In some versions, a wedge was placed underneath the chamber to control elevation, while in later versions an elevating screw was used."

I wonder if 'TheCannonballGuy' might know?

Dave

 
Upvote 0
Cannon wedges were usually made of wood. This is quite heavy, and no idea what the notches on it would be for. Think it's for something else, but I've been wrong before.
 
Upvote 0
Cannon wedges were usually made of wood. This is quite heavy, and no idea what the notches on it would be for. Think it's for something else, but I've been wrong before.

I'm having trouble seeing the 'notches' you're referring to, are they running down the side of the piece?
If so, these may have been used indicate the angle of trajectory, if this in deed is a cannon wedge? :icon_scratch:

Dave
 
Upvote 0
In the photo of it laying flat, you can see on one side at top it is for lack of a better word, "notched," where other side is not.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom