shipwrecks in Sea of Cortez

willin

Jan 15, 2013
Left Coast North America
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never heard of a galleon sinking in the sea of cortez. The only thing close would be the legend of the spanish ship sank in the salton sea. Supposedly a spanish ship sailed up the sea of cortez into the lake. However, when they turned to leave, the found themselves trapped inside.

could that have been a 20th century Spanish gallon ?

The Salton Sea was created in 1905 when agricultural canals flooded
and the Colorado River flowed into the area.

In 1900, the California Development Company began construction of irrigation canals to divert water from the Colorado River. In 1905, heavy rainfall and snow melt caused the Colorado River to swell, overrunning a canal headgates. The resulting flood poured down the canal and breached an Imperial Valley dike. Over a period of approximately two years these two newly created rivers carried a large volume of the Colorado River into the Coachella Valley.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
No. The salton sea was created in 1905 as it exists today. That doesn't mean a lake or inlet did not exist in the same area between the 1500's and 1800's.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I can't recall the name of the ships, there were several lost in search of the northwest passage in the 16th and 17th centuries traveling through the Sea of Cortez. But I would doubt that there was much of material value on board.
V

cortez hunter

Oct 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'am getting ready to sail the sea of cortez again and was wondering if anyone would know where to dive to find our fortune, it would be an adventure for me, and be profitable for you, retired and don't need the money, but some would be nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread