What's new

Shoe buckle, Connecticut copper, giant crotal and more

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
1,417
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow t-netters

Back in the woods! What a great day. I was digging through a crust of snow in a few shady spots, but it was a balmy 38, the ticks have died down, rifle hunting is over, and I unearthed my first shoe buckle! This looks colonial to me, but as it is my first I'm tentative to call it. Anyone care to weigh in? Advice on restoration? It looks to have some nice detail under the crust, but I'm not messing with it for now at least.

The crotal is a monstrous beauty! Haven't been able to find a C makers mark match in searching thus far, but I am so pleased.

I actually scored the coin straight away, followed by the shoe frame. Something looked off (in a good way) about the kgii-ish left facing bust. It is pretty fragged, but I've got a definite "et lib" from about 2-4 o'clock on the reverse that my camera can't seem to capture that well, making this my 3rd connie!

The smaller "paris" buckle and double gilt button are nice, but the little brassy tab that I -almost- put in my junk pouch seemed to have some kind of detail, so I decided to have a closer look at home. What a delight to see what was underneath the grime! I've never seen one of these before. Any ideas?

Hope the day treated you all well, too. Thanks for reading and hh out there.
 

Attachments

  • 12-5-15.webp
    12-5-15.webp
    319.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 12-5-15 2.webp
    12-5-15 2.webp
    377.8 KB · Views: 159
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    321.2 KB · Views: 164
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    312.8 KB · Views: 145
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    419.4 KB · Views: 162
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    490.3 KB · Views: 147
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    200.3 KB · Views: 151
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    293.4 KB · Views: 155
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    467.3 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 18
Congrats on your first complete buckle...they are tough to find ...especially openwork ones...nice finds!
 
Great hunt Z.K.! That's one sweet complete shoe buckle and you even got one with the iron tongue still there. :thumbsup: Surely iron tongues are hard to come by unless still with the frame. All the chapes and tongues I find are brass. Love the bell and the other buckle you got too. Great hunt man.
 
Beautiful buckles bud. Personal adornments are great finds. They're personal and they just reek of history!

Congrays
 
Beautiful buckles bud. Personal adornments are great finds. They're personal and they just reek of history!

Congrays
 
Thanks for the support and education guys!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom