Shopping........Men VS Women

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now this is all in good fun.

As men, I think most of us tend to treat shopping, (as a female friend recently put it), more like a mission. If we go shopping for a pair of new blue jeans we tend to go into the store and if they have what we want we buy it and then we go home, and if not then we move on to the next store in search of our quest.

On the other hand, if a woman goes shopping for a new pair of blue jeans it's possible she'll come home with a new pair of shoes and a grapefruit. What's up with this?

Now remember, this is all in good fun, but it seems we are just geared different and I'm not sure why?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's evolutionary. Clothes fall into a category of items that women have, in general, been responsible for. Much like foraging for nuts, grains and berries, they also prepped hides and made them into clothing. Men were focused more on hunting and were usually on "a mission" for food, reconnaissance or warfare. So, naturally, men see shopping as something extraneous and not germane to their central purpose. Woman see it as a chance to socialize, to see and be seen and is a more natural way for them to spend their time then men.

Of course, this is my opinion and is not meant to be offensive in any way.

I only like to shop if it is for a project or item that I am really interested in. Then I'm a madman...gotta be careful...buying stuff can be addicting.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all goes back to hunters and nesters. Traditionally men are hunters (go buy the item needed and return home with it) and women are nesters (go buy the item needed and see what else may be needed to make for a more comfortable/inviting home).

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is nothing funny about this topic. Being afraid that my answer will offend someone, I highly doubt that too.

Men, it' not only the whole hunter thing, we just have better things to do. There are times I would rather stick bamboo under my fingernails than go shopping.

Women, it's also hunting to a major degree, they are on a mission to get the best sales :headbang: remember they are well armed with a little piece of plastic that you cover every month too :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why we have the internet! :headbang: Most of what I've bought in the last 8 years has just been a push of a button. So to me shopping is cool! :thumbsup:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Oh, we're just different, men and women. We do almost everything different. Embrace respect for that, learn to say "viva la diferance!!!"(or however that is spelled) and enjoy the ride :icon_thumleft:

and oh yeah, don't try to go shopping together.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is a Cabela's near me for years.
still havn't even pulled into the parking lot
because I Havn't needed something there yet. :tongue3:

If I don't know what I'm going in for,
makes no sense to go in :dontknow:

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
jeff of pa said:
there is a Cabela's near me for years.
still havn't even pulled into the parking lot
because I Havn't needed something there yet. :tongue3:

If I don't know what I'm going in for,
makes no sense to go in :dontknow:

It is worth the visit just to see the huge display of animal mounts and their aquariums.
Then run upstairs and get lunch.
No need to buy anything but also visit their Bargain Cave.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a short, quickly assembled list of stores, products or events that would go broke if I alone did the shopping:
Health food store
Video rental store
Jewelry shop
Florists
Dog grooming
Diet soda store
Fitness center
Bingo parlor
Anything on the Home Shopping Network channel
Online dating services
Tobacco shop (now that I've quit)
Wrestling match
World Cup Soccer match (just to dig at the Brits here)
Cruise on an ocean liner
Soap Opera Digest or any soap opera viewing
Tabloids
American Idol
So You Think You Can dance etc., etc., etc.
Dating Game or Newlywed Show
Yoga parlor
Tanning booths
wine tasting without getting a buzz
Renaissance fair
antiwar protest (even if the war isn't something I'd agree to)
A Minnesota Viking or San Francisco 49er Super Bowl party
Big game hunt in Africa
Stand in line for a Cappuccino
pay for golf lessons
plastic surgery unless there's a accident
abortion clinic
That's all I have time to list right now. Anyone want to go shopping??

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
bigscoop said:
Now this is all in good fun.

As men, I think most of us tend to treat shopping, (as a female friend recently put it), more like a mission. If we go shopping for a pair of new blue jeans we tend to go into the store and if they have what we want we buy it and then we go home, and if not then we move on to the next store in search of our quest.

On the other hand, if a woman goes shopping for a new pair of blue jeans it's possible she'll come home with a new pair of shoes and a grapefruit. What's up with this?

Now remember, this is all in good fun, but it seems we are just geared different and I'm not sure why?

guess I'm kinda in the middle.....I know what i want and that is my mission....usually will only get anything else if either 1. its on clearance or a super sale or 2. it was something I forgot to write down that I needed before I left home.....I don't shop just for the sake of shopping...unless its books... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread