What's new

Short CW hunt....Buttons, buttons and more buttons

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
376
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a little time today so I called a couple buddies to help me hunt a site that I found on an old map drawn by a Union soldier. This map shows cannon placements, troop movements and a Federal camp. I overlayed it on a current map and we drove around and looked the sites over. It is very close to where we have been hunting another camp. Knowing we did not have much time to hunt we went back to our original site. I said I wanted to find another button today as I have found about five there in the last couple hunts. Well it did not take too long. The property owner said that there used to be a log cabin next to the woods and during the war the officers occupied it. Well it did not take long to find the site. A lot of old nails and I had to hunt pretty slow to hear those high tones. I found the first button within the first few minutes. And then another and then another. One button is very large about 1 1/2" in diameter. I decided to try another program on the DFX so I switched from relic mode to ........ get this...... JEWELRY/BEACH. What a difference. No trash signals and almost every target was a good find. So much quieter. My finds for the nearly three hour hunt was 10 flat buttons, a partial fork, a burnside cartridge, unidentified brass cartridge, another brass piece, couple grommets, what looks like a heel plate, sole to a shoe, a lock (I think) and what may be a part to a lantern. I have found these before in other camps. I thought it was a smashed bowl at first but there are holes in it. Usual camp lead and other stuff. I have not cleaned the back of the buttons too much yet. Will have to get the aluminum jelly out this weekend and clean them up. One button reads EXTRA RICH LONDON, another reads TREBLE GILT LONDON and several have writing but needs to be cleaned up more.
 

Attachments

  • 001 (1024x768).webp
    001 (1024x768).webp
    58 KB · Views: 561
  • 004 (1024x768).webp
    004 (1024x768).webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 007 (1024x768).webp
    007 (1024x768).webp
    99.7 KB · Views: 519
  • 008 (1024x768).webp
    008 (1024x768).webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0
great looking finds!!!!!! MR TUFF
 
Great finds !
I wonder what you will find at the other site with that program loaded ?
Running in both over the whole site should give you a whole lot of finds .
It will be great to see the photos of the things you do find , I am waiting for the ones from the new site from around the Cannons .
 
Nice finds and research Randy. If you did not know the history, you would think it was only an old homesite. You know now there is more there to dig. Good lock finding those CW camps. HH, Quindy.
 
Those buttons are indicators that a copper is nearby. :icon_thumleft: I bet you get something Colonial at that site. It is looking to have some great potential. I will watch for your next post. :hello:

Kirk :hello:
 
VOL1266-X said:
Nice finds and research Randy. If you did not know the history, you would think it was only an old homesite. You know now there is more there to dig. Good lock finding those CW camps. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy. I haven't even checked out the Federal camp yet. There is a lot of area to cover. I know some of these fields have been hunted before but one field has been plowed which is a good sign even if it has been hunted before.

Kirk PA said:
Those buttons are indicators that a copper is nearby. :icon_thumleft: I bet you get something Colonial at that site. It is looking to have some great potential. I will watch for your next post. :hello:

Kirk :hello:

Thanks Kirk. The landowner has found some reales on this property. And there was civil war action on the property as well.
 
Wow, you did dig a few buttons didn't you? I knew that spot held plenty of them from the last time we hunted it. The large button may be a "whirligig" or Buzzer
 

Attachments

  • BuzzerGirl1916.webp
    BuzzerGirl1916.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 325
Wish I couldve stayed longer buddy, I'm glad you got that program working, you kicked but in the buttons, and I know how much you like digging them
 
Woodland Detectors said:
Wow, you did dig a few buttons didn't you? I knew that spot held plenty of them from the last time we hunted it. The large button may be a "whirligig" or Buzzer

Mike - They were all down in the lower part of the field below the old house. I think you found some there last time we hunted didn't you?
Tnrelicman said:
Wish I couldve stayed longer buddy, I'm glad you got that program working, you kicked but in the buttons, and I know how much you like digging them

Thanks Guy. I love digging buttons. Bullets of course too. I wish you could have stayed longer too. You and Larry and I will have to hunt that area pretty hard next time and see what else we can get out of there. There was some real muddy spots that we will have to check out next time it dries out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom