pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a great day up here yesterday did the hike and it was 5 pm I decided I needed to end the day in the corn patch. Little less than 2 hrs it was dark and I had a few keepers and this morning I was rewarded with a very big discovery when I washed up the bell. The coinage was a burnt disk with maybe an image of something facing left and a 1900 LC. A small flat button and a huge 33mm thin button with a design of sorts and part of a spoon. What makes me just delighted is that the crotal bell has the initials of the original land grant holder, and the Great Grandfather of the present owner the one that gave me the permission to hunt all the lands. It's a first time(45yrs) I've found something randomly on someone's land that directly ties the find to their family tree as this crotal bell. It might not mean much to some but it puts a big smile on this mug!The bell has a hole on the other side but the steel ball is still inside, my mission is to find the chip and complete the bell, but in the mean time it'll be given to the landowner and that will put a smile on their face.

IMG_20151013_224034747.jpg IMG_20151013_224039211.jpg IMG_20151013_224100050_HDR.jpg IMG_20151012_183349842.jpg IMG_20151013_224110864.jpg IMG_20151012_194910293_HDR.jpg IMG_20151012_181801130_HDR.jpg

Upvote 20
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job Pepper on everything dug but especially the bell. WTG, Q.
Thanks Vol1266
It was the forth bell dug from this site and the oldest.

Thanks for that bit of history on the bell. Great return!

Thanks Old Dude
There's a few bits of the history like the years he owned the farm and when he sold.

This is really a great post. Congrats on such a cool find, and for giving the property owner something they will treasure!

Thanks Buck for the kind reply.
It's always great to find something unique and it doesn't have to be even worth much.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's definitely some age in that field Jim! :occasion14:
Kudos to you for returning the crotal bell to the relatives of the original land owner too!

Looks like we've got snow in the forecast here in Ontario this weekend, see you again in a couple of weeks my friend! :thumbsup:
Dave

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Pepperj. I really like those crotal bells & I'm sure the owner appreciated it.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job Pepperj. I really like those crotal bells & I'm sure the owner appreciated it.

Thanks Trezurehunter

One can't have too many bells in the collection

There's definitely some age in that field Jim! :occasion14:
Kudos to you for returning the crotal bell to the relatives of the original land owner too!

Looks like we've got snow in the forecast here in Ontario this weekend, see you again in a couple of weeks my friend! :thumbsup:
Dave

Thanks Dave
It's a real mix as they buried the one house out in the field! Seems to be the norm out in this area, got a building? Dig a hole and bury it, then plow pieces up for the next hundred years.:laughing7:

I saw the dirty white this morning coming down as the occasional dark cloud past. Nothing to worry about as it's going to go back up into the double digits this next week so more crops will disappear and hopefully we can get onto those fields.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THERE PEPPER . LOOKING AT THE PIC LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN A COLD DAY DETECTING .

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell yah one big smile nice hunt man!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I nominate honorable mention :notworthy:

Thanks for the mention Loco Digger, I believed it would be the same for many if dug the bell, they'd return it to the landowner.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is nice to put a smile on someone's face, especially with an object that transcends time and connects a person to their past. It's unfortunate the fellow was murdered, but sure makes for an interesting story.

You're one of the good guys!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It really is nice to put a smile on someone's face, especially with an object that transcends time and connects a person to their past. It's unfortunate the fellow was murdered, but sure makes for an interesting story.

You're one of the good guys!

Thanks J Cache

I really need to squeeze a little time to go down to see the farmer again to hear more of the history surrounding the sale between the two brothers and what year it took place.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THERE PEPPER . LOOKING AT THE PIC LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN A COLD DAY DETECTING .

No it was in the low 70's and then it cooled off to the low 60's which is great at this time of the year, beats the 31F outside right now.

Hell yah one big smile nice hunt man!

Thanks NEPADIGGER
Certain things make a person smile and this one was one of those finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread