Siesta Key Point of Rocks

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have only hunted the Florida Gulf coast a few times as the east coast beaches are closer, but we are planning a weeks vacation on Siesta Key. From reading posts here I expect plenty of company out there !
Has anyone looked for the Point of Rocks Treasure Chest ? I think it was found back in 1934, but who knows what could turn up with a snorkel and an Excal, would be fun to give it a shot.
Any advice on the water conditions ?

Tek

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Pulled the trigger today and booked a condo smack on the beach at the north end of point of rocks for 8 days. A little more info on what may be an obscure treasure legend: W.C. Jameson in his 2012 book " Florida's Lost and Buried Treasures " talks about a wooden chest with strap iron five feet by two feet seen by fishermen in 1921 which they unsuccessfully tried to recover. A hurricane hit the next day before they could go back changing the entire contour of the beach. In 1934 a group built a fifty foot pier and divers looked for the chest reportedly with no success. There is little on the internet regarding this story. I am hoping for clear water and good conditions, and have no idea what to do if I actually locate this stupid thing. :)

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Good luck! If you find it just keep your mouth shut and don't tell anyone.

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful in the water there. If the water is rough and you can't see the rocks,you will sometimes "slide into' them and bash your shins. They are also slippery. The rocks also act as a targer trap,your machine may go nuts around some.It's a good place to hunt because most detectorists who go to Siesta key beach don't walk that far up.You are also next to the hotel zone.I hope you do well,let us know if you find the "big one"!

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those hotels are always busy and they should keep you busy. as for the rocks the gray mater will keep you real busy

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
I was there last year when a large dark shape approached me from the deep. :o It headed straight for my crotch and I started backing up to avoid an adult manatee. :laughing7: I know they don't see well and they can be quite friendly. Keep your eyes peeled as they favor the shallows around Siesta Key and they could easily knock you down if they run into you.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, hope you do well. Parking in that area is tough unless you are staying at one of those resorts. Be prepared to dig Slaw.

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Same time next year

Had fun, tropical storm Andrea was interesting. Small silver, Tungsten, 5 rubles, lot of junk, and my assistant found a nickel. Booked room for 2 weeks next year. Can't wait to go back.

Attachments

• diggy digger2.jpg
    diggy digger2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 237
  • tungtsen.jpg
    tungtsen.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Crescent Beach.jpg
    Crescent Beach.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 5rubles.jpg
    5rubles.jpg