Upvote 0

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what your trying to do.. Hardware cloth melted into the bottom of the upper half of a plastic 5 gal bucket.. Then trimed.. Or take a folding leg card table frame and suspend a box with rope or bungies made from lumber and hardware cloth Attatch a couple of handle on the classifier frame and give it a good shaking..

T

TreasureTales

You can get some ideas about sifting screens from this website. http://www.stoneyknoll.com/

I've heard of folks making them from card tables and TV trays, but they don't seem like they would take much abuse. Plus, they don't seem to offer a way to shake them. I'm still trying to design one for myself. I'd like to see what folks come up with. Please post pix if you make one.

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thankx guys for the tips!!!!!!! Cosmic, the bucket idea was prett ingenious. :) Hey treasure tales, I went to work after I made my post. While at work, I came up with an idea. First, build a four post frame. Somewhere near the top attach four flat metal pieces (bolted in?) to use as rocker arms; two on either side, of course. These arms will be bolted in to the first "course" tray holding frame with the actual sifter as a seperate piece that will fit into the holding area. Under that, build slots into the frame for the "fine" items box. Being less stuff in this tray than in the other, it shouldn't be no problem to take out the first tray-dump it- and then slide out the bottom tray to fit into the rocker to sift through this dirt, etc.
It will take some work. but I think it might just work. If I can build it, I will definaetly put some pics up. Tell me what you think! And thanx again for your input!!!!!

T

TreasureTales

Wormnblack, you idea sounds good. As for me, I might try to build a one-screen model, but not until I get a new skilsaw. So it may be awhile before I can make something. Yep, I'd like to see pix of anything you make. And a price list would be great, too.

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
TreasureTales, I have done much contemplating and gone thru several ideas from large systems to small ones with lawnmower wheels. For practicle reasons, given the terrain I'll be in and the given teh lay of the land, it would more than likely be best if I went with a smaller (more portable) tool. Work has been terribly slow, so I must wait for a good paycheck myself! :( Besides, it's been raining and freezing here, anyway. But whatever the final result, I'll post some pics, and I'll give a price list for the materials. Lowes is my new best friend! :P Thanks and the best of luck with yours!!!

T

TreasureTales

wormnblack said:
TreasureTales, I have done much contemplating and gone thru several ideas from large systems to small ones with lawnmower wheels. For practicle reasons, given the terrain I'll be in and the given teh lay of the land, it would more than likely be best if I went with a smaller (more portable) tool. Work has been terribly slow, so I must wait for a good paycheck myself! :( Besides, it's been raining and freezing here, anyway. But whatever the final result, I'll post some pics, and I'll give a price list for the materials. Lowes is my new best friend! :P Thanks and the best of luck with yours!!!

Size and portability are also considerations for me. I want to make something that folds up flat (or relatively flat) and that can be carried by backpack a mile or so. I like the size of the TV tray models, but I'd like to make something that can be rocked or shaken with handles. So, I'm still at the drawing board, so to speak. LOL Good luck with yours!

T

TreasureTales

Hey stoney, it folds, it's certainly lightweight compared to the wooden ones, and it's easy to make, huh? Very cool and cheap. I like that idea!!! If some way of adding detachable (shaker) handles can be devised, it's something I'd seriously consider making. I've got the old card table, so I'm halfway there, right? How has it held up? Hmmm, I wonder...would it be possible to make two of the legs rotate so that they could be shaker handles and then moved back into the leg position? Gonna think about that idea for awhile. Thanks!!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
TT, the legs are just wobbly enough to be easy to shake. If you want handles, what about an old lawn mower upper handle? You know the type that loosens up and folds back over the mower for small spaces like a car trunk.
Drill a hole through the side of the card table where you want to mount the handles. Cut the handle in two as shown and add a bicycle handgrip to each one. If the bolted ends are slightly curved, it may fit the table edge better.

Attachments

• mower handle.jpg
    mower handle.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 380
T

TreasureTales

Hmmm, that sounds like it would work. However, I see you are right about the wobbly legs so an actual handle for shaking the screen may be unnecessary. I'll have to try making one and go from there. Another project!!! Yippee?? LOL This one shouldn't be a big deal, so I can look for a card table that may be a little more beat up. I looked at mine about half an hour ago and it will still work for a few more hands of pinochle.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You can also use a smaller size hardware cloth. Mine won't let a dime through but might let a $1 gold through and if you're looking for something on a gold stream, you might look at a nylon cloth so it doesn't rust although it may not be was long lasting depending on how much you load onto it. My cardtable is aluminum so it's not affected by water.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Mrs. O, I can see where that sifter can serve a double purpose. Get some zip ties and one of those floating noodles (pic below). Cut the noodle in half and then cut each half lengthwise. Use the zip ties to hold the flat side of the noodle against each of the four sides of the sifter. Instant sifter for water detecting. Just tie a rope on it and clip to your belt or whatever.

Pool%20Noodles.jpg

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey, Mrs. O...The sifter you have in the picture is probably what I'm gonna have to boil it down to. Something I can easily carry & won't have to get up too much to use. Thanks for the pic!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread