✅ SOLVED Silver band too long to be a ring; any ideas?

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what this is, I know it is not a ring and the metal seems wrong to be a bottle band. I have no Idea. The last photo is just so I can include a photo of it with the tape measure. Feel free to comment about other things, but I may have a separate post about other things in that last photo.

DSCN0929.JPG DSCN0933.JPG DSCN0938.JPG

DSCN0907.JPG

I am digging in the woods in East Texas (12 Miles of mostly woods) I am in Franklin County Texas on a private ranch. There was one homestead here in the early 1900's. I was told that there may have been a moonshine operation in a specific area here, but after 6 months of detecting, I see no proof of that. I found an area where I believe I have found a second and even a third homestead, but I can only base that on my findings. I only dig hear in the winter months, then I boot out the renters and go back to Wisconsin!

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a flattened 35mm film canister to me.
Thanks, sounded good to me until I googled it to see what the size of a canister would be and it says 1 3/4 inches, this is 1 1/2 inches, I think it would be too small for that. Mine is 1 inch in diameter. I didn't google the diameter of the film canister. If you have one you could measure that would be awesome!
Thank you again for your reply.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like a 35mm canister, i have a few myself .

Thanks, sounded good to me until I googled it to see what the size of a canister would be and it says 1 3/4 inches, this is 1 1/2 inches, I think it would be too small for that. Mine is 1 inch in diameter. I didn't google the diameter of the film canister. If you have one you could measure that would be awesome!
Thank you again for your reply.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the eraser end of one of those fat pencils we used in kindergarten.
Anything is possible, but it seems too big for that, and too small for a film container, I am not saying your not right, I am just saying it might be something else! LOL. I appreciate any ideas and since I didn't have ANY thought... all ideas are better than mine!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it have been a piece from an oil lamp? The part that fastens the wick assembly to the base?

That sounds like a possibility, I actually found one (smashed oil lamp with the wick assembly still attached) so I can measure the one I have. I am sure they came in different sizes though, so I guess that wouldn't do me amy good! LOL. I do appreciate your feedback. Does your user name stand for anything, I mean does the word Paleopilot mean something? Just curious it is a cool name.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like part of a matchbox case to me.

Welcome to the forum! So kind of you to help trying to solve something right away! I have seen old Match Box cases for stick matches that is a good possiblilty as well. Thanks again and I hope you find a lot of answers for yourself on here as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smashed snuff can?

I did google snuff cans from your suggestion, but I couldn't find any tubular style cans. I will keep looking and thank you for taking the time to look and respond!

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thankyou

Welcome to the forum! So kind of you to help trying to solve something right away! I have seen old Match Box cases for stick matches that is a good possiblilty as well. Thanks again and I hope you find a lot of answers for yourself on here as well.

Hi; I have been a digger since the mid 90s, and have lurked on this forum for some time as it is a very educational link. Most of the time someone posts the same thought I had before I had a chance. I'm surprised a match case had not been already suggested in this situation. One of the other posts prompted me to re-register with my new email since my old ISP is defunct. Congratulations on the neat finds.

Upvote 0

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a possibility, I actually found one (smashed oil lamp with the wick assembly still attached) so I can measure the one I have. I am sure they came in different sizes though, so I guess that wouldn't do me amy good! LOL. I do appreciate your feedback. Does your user name stand for anything, I mean does the word Paleopilot mean something? Just curious it is a cool name.
Hello Cindy, Came up with that username because the Paleozoic Era is of great interest to me and I am also a Private Pilot. Thank you for asking. :wave:

Attachments

• J3 Cub.JPG
    J3 Cub.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Paleo-Indians.JPG
    Paleo-Indians.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found something else, quite by accident, while doing a search that matches your metal ring or Collete. Maybe a part from a Buggy Whip.

Attachments

• buggy whip.JPG
    buggy whip.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I have been a digger since the mid 90s, and have lurked on this forum for some time as it is a very educational link. Most of the time someone posts the same thought I had before I had a chance. I'm surprised a match case had not been already suggested in this situation. One of the other posts prompted me to re-register with my new email since my old ISP is defunct. Congratulations on the neat finds.

Thanks and you are right, this is a very educational site! I have learned a lot!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found something else, quite by accident, while doing a search that matches your metal ring or Collete. Maybe a part from a Buggy Whip.
I like that idea, it is the best one so far, however the wick holder was right up there too! I measured the wick holder on my lamp and it is a little small than the band but it is close and like I said, I am not sure if they were all the same size.
GB MISC 04.JPG so who knows, but so far I like your answers best!

Also thank you for the name explanation, that is very creative!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions