What's new

Silver....but not what I had expected......

Bushido Dude

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
304
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....trying to catch up on backlogged finds for the last 2 weeks, bare with me please. I will be highlighting some of the better finds because, well, I find posting a million pictures of pulltabs and rust chunks to be boring and time consuming. And since I have been out pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks and have had some great finds I figure you all much rather see them. To start off I have some pictures of a nice knife found at the bottle dump that BEZJO and I frequent.....he found a matching sugar spoon as well...and yes it says "STERLING 925FINE" "COPYRIGHT1904"
 

Attachments

  • knife1.webp
    knife1.webp
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,127
  • knife3.webp
    knife3.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • knife2.webp
    knife2.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,126
  • knife4.webp
    knife4.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,109
Upvote 0
Nice silver knife but where is all the pulltabs and rust chunks....JK.

NJ
 
Nah, I didnt expect to find any silver in this particular bottle dump, if anything maybe some rosies or mercury dimes. I have scavenged through it many times and the most I ever found was silver plate. And I just got back from another trip and I found 3 more sterling spoons, trying to clean them up right now........I'm really starting to like this spot!!!!
 
Wow ! Who throw out silver in to a dump ! Nice recovery !! MaineRelic .
 
:o Sterling knifes are hard to find !! :notworthy: Most are sterling handle with steel blades.... :dontknow:

Awesome silver find !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D
 
here is some more stuff we pulled out
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0449.webp
    DSCN0449.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 807
  • DSCN0453.webp
    DSCN0453.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 807
More spoons from today, once again a matching trio. They clean up nice with a good vinegar bath and then baking soda scrub. The rust comes off for the most part eventually, with the exception of a spot here or there, after hours of scrubbing and soaking haha.
 

Attachments

  • spoons1.webp
    spoons1.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 766
  • spoons2.webp
    spoons2.webp
    61.3 KB · Views: 788
Great finds!! Did that one jar have the coins in it already? If so what are they and how old. Looks like a good spot. HH
 
You have an Unger Brothers Master Butter Knife. UB makers Monogram. Nice Art Nouveau pattern.
"A master butter (wtf) knife is a sharp-pointed, dull edged knife, often with a sabre shape,
used only to serve out pats of butter from a central butter dish to individual diners' plates."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_knife

Unger Brothers silver, Newark, NJ. Highly regarded silver house in their day. Sought after now.
A lot of their silver listed on ebay & it looks like everything sells.
http://www.americanhatpinsociety.com/article/unger.html

Example of Master Butter below.
 

Attachments

  • master butter 1.webp
    master butter 1.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 634
nice silver spoons n knife :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF
 
I would proudly use that knife to open all my rejection letters from Penthouse magazine, as well as the never-ending stream of "final notice" paperwork that gets sent to me. Nice day!
Carl
 
Yea we borrowed my friends Encyclopedia of American Silversmiths book and found the hallmark and subsequent history. Was very interesting and cool reading up on all of the brothers and the history that went into this family owned business. The pattern is called "LA FLEURETTE". And thank you all for the views and support...it keeps BEZJO and I going! Good luck all and happy hunting!
 
Great silver find. I have never found anything like that......... yet :wink:
 
I liked these finds so much I have to reply again !! :icon_thumleft:

That knife is outstanding and the spoons are great too. :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D
 
No the coins were not in the jar, I dropped them in there after taking pictures to post on my facebook page.

Sure ill take some pictures right now to post up here
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom