What's new

silver case

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
1,442
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today in a yard of a house dating back to the 1700's. It is 2 1/2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide and and appears to be silver It has the same design on both sides of it...no markings stating it is sterling that I can see. Possibly a match case? Any ideas?? Thanks!!!
 

Attachments

  • silver case a.webp
    silver case a.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 320
  • silver case b.webp
    silver case b.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 326
My guess: a snuff box.

Does look like a lady's head on the right, wearing a hood (Little Red Riding Hood?). Reclining on a bed. Necklace on chest. Kind of looks like a dog's head (wolf's head?) under Little Red.
 
Upvote 0
Yes, I do agree it is from the Art Deco period of the Roaring 20's, but think it is a pill/medicine box. Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
nose candy holder -- coke was used in the 20's / 30's -- she loved a guy name smokey even thou he was cokey --(minney the moocher ) by cab calliway
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies!!!
 
Upvote 0
It's funny how different people see different things. I see a gypsy dancing and holding out a tamborine. Nice find. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Late Art Nouveau. Definitely tambourine... I'm thinking Flamenco because of the dress? But the smoking lanterns/pots are definitely fantasy/artsy.
 
Upvote 0
I agree Art Nouveau design. Period or later manufactured. Tooling is identical on both front and back, it is not hand tooled, probably mass produced. Nice find, and very neat design regardless of what it held. Arty
 
Upvote 0
Nice find fellow mainah. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom