What's new

Silver Chain Purse?

1996

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
275
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
I found this at an estate sale I went to a couple of weeks ago. I'm guessing it is one of those miniature purses that ladies use ta carry when they were dressed up nice and didn't have any pockets or something.
The front and back are the same, with a monogram in the middle that reads, "ECR". It is about the size of a man's wallet, measuring 4" X 3 1/4".
There are no makers stamps or marks that I have been able to find.

I'm not sure what it is made of, but I think it is only silver plated. The interior is black cotton (?) with a pocket on each side; one with a snap, and one without. The insert is removable

It is spring loaded (hence the screwdriver). On one long edge, where it hinges, there are 2 small eyelets noticable in the picture. that is why I think this was a purse.

I would be interested in an exact name, value, or anywhere I could get information about this item.

thanks.
 

Attachments

  • HPIM1450.webp
    HPIM1450.webp
    70.2 KB · Views: 421
  • HPIM1452.webp
    HPIM1452.webp
    81.2 KB · Views: 417
Very popular during the Victorian era...I think they called the method of silver application Repousse
 
Upvote 0
Thanks gyp. checked out victorian repousse and found a similar purse/wallet. it was .925 silver though.
thinking about just giving it to my sister for christmas.
idk.
 
Upvote 0
Ive seen these before and they can be worth big bucks depending on condition
 
Upvote 0
Oops! I was thinking cigarette case. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom