Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Driving home after work I noticed the low tide screaming for a quick hunt so I pulled over, covered myself in bug spray, and broke out the Safari. It was a fairly uneventful site until I heard the minelab start screaming on silver. The coin was covered in a black crust that slipped easily off the surface of the coin. An 1897 V Nickle survived a hundred years in the salt water and while its roached, I can still make out Liberty's bust and the date! Thanks for looking

V4.jpegV1.jpgV2.jpgV.jpg

Upvote 4
My safari hits 14 for nickels. Never hit a 10 or below, I don't dig lower than 14, as of yet with my Safari. Great find!!!!!!!!

cjon is spot on, I just ran over to air test it and your exactly right 10-13 is definitely nickel. Strange as it certainly has the look and feel of silver. I'm guess the salt water/trash may have been falsing the safari signal, but hey still a neat old coin.

Hey I hope you didn't take offense to that, just wanted to give you the heads up, not to downplay a 118 year old nickel though, that's still a great find

Nice find VMI! You guys at the coast have been finding some nice stuff. Congrats.

My safari hits 14 for nickels. Never hit a 10 or below, I don't dig lower than 14, as of yet with my Safari. Great find!!!!!!!!

I actually dig alot of pewter buttons in the 10 to 18 range so I chase some of the lower signals.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back