What's new

Silver markings

baylorhall

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
899
Reaction score
154
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me anything about these silver markings on an old piece of silver I inherited from my grandmother? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3765.webp
    IMG_3765.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,557
I may be wrong because the pic is a little far away from the marks, but it sure looks like a Gorham mark

Does this match?
http://www.silvercollection.it/GORHAM1886bis.jpg

Gorham operated from 1831 to present, but I think yours is on of the older marks.

Kevo

A few mins later:
If your pic matches, you can place your silver piece in the 1886-1892 range.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Kevo that it is Gorham, but i think the date would depend on the first mark. Looks like either an "A" (1868) or a compass (1908). Hard to say without a closer photo.
 

Attachments

  • gorham.webp
    gorham.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 25,723
Upvote 0
Thanks! I went on the Gorham site and with a loop was able to see what appears to be marks that place it in the 20th century. Although, there is no mark that would designate the decade as it says it should. Year codes were discontinued between 1933 and 1941, so I guess that was when it was made. You guys on Tnet know everything! Thanks again

http://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html
 
Upvote 0
Yes, up close I can tell it is a lion.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom