šŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Silver plate with makers marks

urdaddymitch

Jun 8, 2023
Have had this plate for a while canā€™t find the makers mark anywhere online looked for a while kind of gave up if anyone could help would be greatly appreciated pictures are close ups of front and back markings best I can do to help someone else out in helping me find who made this thing
IMG_1021.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1018.jpeg
    IMG_1018.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1014.jpeg
    IMG_1014.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1732.jpeg
    IMG_1732.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Thereā€™s an ambiguity in the phrase ā€œSilver plateā€. Do you mean that you believe itā€™s a plate made from silver, or that itā€™s a piece of silverplate? I presume the latter but, if you donā€™t think itā€™s plated, is there any possibility of it being pewter? Has it been tested?

The marks are mystifying but there are still thousands of marks on European Continental silverplate which are undocumented or sufficiently obscure that theyā€™re difficult to find in English language reference sources. Marks for pewter are often even more difficult to track down. I would be sure this is a Continental piece.

I have a few observations rather than an identification, but perhaps they will trigger something that leads to an identification.

Front Engraving

Itā€™s rather splendid and very skilfully done. The fish appears to be an anatomically accurate representation of a marlin (rather than a swordfish). The tray is the wrong shape for a serving dish for fish, so I would assume the engraving to be a heraldic emblem for someone or something.

Given the accuracy of the engraving, I think it would be fair to assume that the crown above it is also heraldically accurate. Itā€™s not a Regal or Imperial crown, but has the features of either a European Duke/Duchess (notably Sweden) or an ā€œAdelskroneā€, as used by untitled nobility in ā€˜Prussian/German Empireā€™ regions. My money would be on the latter, for reasons given later.

Backstamps

Iā€™ve never seen a set of marks like that on silver or silverplate. One curious thing is that the marks also include a marlin. Iā€™m struggling to think why what appears to be part of the set of (presumably) maker marks would also be repeated on the front engraving as decoration.

The first of the backstamps seems to be a crowned ā€˜Wā€™ within a Teutonic cross, depicted as a medal. The cross itself has been used as an emblem in the former Holy Roman Empire since the 13th Century and later in the Prussian/German Empire, but itā€™s first use in the form of a medal was by Prussia in 1813 during the Napoleonic Wars. Thatā€™s at odds with the ā€˜1802ā€™ date on the shield as the third mark. I would guess that date might be the establishment date for the maker, not a true date for the tray itself.

Also, the crowned W has an Imperial crown and looks to be a Royal cipher of the type used in the Prussian/German Empire. For an 1802 date it would have to be for Frederick William III (1797-1840) but he used an entwined ā€˜FWā€™ as his monogram. It looks more like the monogram of Wilhelm I (1861-1888).

Last edited:
Upvote 6

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tough one. Only hunch I can conjure up in my head is that it's possibly coupled to some German military unit. Is that a depiction of a bomb on the top of the crown? Is it a swordfish or marlin.

Attachments

• 783133790906bf509a3971a3ac3621b9c0b223e6-1024x439.jpg
    783133790906bf509a3971a3ac3621b9c0b223e6-1024x439.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
A tough one. Only hunch I can conjure up in my head is that it's possibly coupled to some German military unit. Is that a depiction of a bomb on the top of the crown? Is it a swordfish or marlin.
Initially I thought it was a depiction of a bonefish, kind of stylized.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Initially I thought it was a depiction of a bonefish, kind of stylized.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a marlinā€¦ and either ā€˜Striped Marlinā€™ (Kajikia spp) shown as the first of the comparative images below; or ā€˜Blue Marlinā€™ (Makaira spp) shown as the second of the images. Iā€™m going by the dorsal stripes as well as the anatomy. Black Marlin ((Istiompax spp) can also have dorsal stripes, but theyā€™re not very prominent. Swordfish, as far as I know, donā€™t have such stripes.

Marlins.jpg

Note that various common names, including ā€œStriped Swordfishā€ are sometimes used for fish in the Kajikia genus but, taxonomically, theyā€™re regarded as marlins within the billfish group. Of those that would best fit the representation on the tray, only Striped Marlin and Blue Marlin are likely to be found in European waters, but not much further north than the Atlantic coast of Spain. However it doesn't follow that depiction as a decorative emblem necessarily needs to align with the geographic distribution of the fish.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread