What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Small Silver dish with a mark I would like to ID

tamrock

Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2013
Messages
16,407
Reaction score
34,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up recently, because I'm pretty sure it's solid silver, but I can't get that little smaller than a flea size purity mark (i think?) cleaned out with a little silver cream and the fine bristle dogs toothbrush I used. The makers mark has a J and C on the sides of what looks like a handbag. I can't find that mark online either. I'm thinking its French silver, but what purity of alloy could it be?. Thanks! to any of you new set of eyes taking a crack at it.
 

Attachments

  • 20250626_122429.webp
    20250626_122429.webp
    648.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20250626_122447.webp
    20250626_122447.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • 20250626_122456.webp
    20250626_122456.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • 20250626_123056.webp
    20250626_123056.webp
    910.3 KB · Views: 77
Hi @tamrock. I can make a pretty good guess whose mark that is, but believe it to be ‘JG’ not ‘JC’ and that the salver is silver plate, not silver.

The French silver plate manufacturer Adolphe Gudin used the ‘handbag’ mark (described in French catalogues as “une bourse”, ie a purse) with his initials ‘AG’ between 1920-1922:

Gudin.webp


Gudin was at 1 rue Castex in Paris. The first initial of your mark is very clearly a ‘J’ not an ‘A’, so my guess would be those are the initials of a business continuation, and most probably those of his son. I can’t find any record of him, nor the mark with those initials, so it may have been a small and/or short-lived business.
 
Upvote 0
Hi @tamrock. I can make a pretty good guess whose mark that is, but believe it to be ‘JG’ not ‘JC’ and that the salver is silver plate, not silver.

The French silver plate manufacturer Adolphe Gudin used the ‘handbag’ mark (described in French catalogues as “une bourse”, ie a purse) with his initials ‘AG’ between 1920-1922:

View attachment 2214289

Gudin was at 1 rue Castex in Paris. The first initial of your mark is very clearly a ‘J’ not an ‘A’, so my guess would be those are the initials of a business continuation, and most probably those of his son. I can’t find any record of him, nor the mark with those initials, so it may have been a small and/or short-lived business.
Thanks RC. Silver plate than. I didn't pay a lot, so I'll call it decent deal for three bucks. I'll see about scrubbing out that tiny touch mark just to see what it depicts.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom