What's new

Silver Repousse bowl

luke_00

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2015
Messages
349
Reaction score
866
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its kinda late but i need help. I found this at a yard a sale for $1. I have no idea where it was made or how old it is. I did the ice test and the ice melted FAST and got cold in a hurry. The bowl is 1 1/2 inches across where the lid goes. If any one has any info I would much appreciate it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443402217.521191.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443402378.203736.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443402330.454966.webp
 
Upvote 8
I know nothing about it but I sure like it.

I've used the ice test myself. It's been accurate about 80% of the time. If no one here can help you I would take it somewhere and get it tested or get a test kit and do it yourself.

I hope it turns out to be silver.
Good luck and congrats on a great find.
 
I know nothing about it but I sure like it.

I've used the ice test myself. It's been accurate about 80% of the time. If no one here can help you I would take it somewhere and get it tested or get a test kit and do it yourself.

I hope it turns out to be silver.

Good luck and congrats on a great find.
Yeah I hope it does too
 
I'm gonna call you lucky Luke ! I think it looks really right !! and I've also been quite mistaken on some of my hunches here on t-net !
I'm thinking your piece may have been made in Bali , Tibet , or China . It may well be closer to Fine silver than Sterling .
 
I'm gonna call you lucky Luke ! I think it looks really right !! and I've also been quite mistaken on some of my hunches here on t-net !
I'm thinking your piece may have been made in Bali , Tibet , or China . It may well be closer to Fine silver than Sterling .


I'd say more likely Burmese. (present day Myanmar)
 
Very cool. Spit on a piece of tin foil and press it onto the object with your thumb. If the quality of silver is high enough, it will get hot and smell like sulphur (silver sulfide)
 
Hey Luke for $1 ,, I would have jumped all over that,,,, SCOOOORRRREEEE
 
Thanks for all the info!
 
Really nice piece! At the risk of sounding a bit dopey, what is the Ice Test? I'm always into learning something new. Thank you.
 
Pretty nice find.Looks all legit.Even tho most items are stamped by the maker if it is silver or not.So in my opinion it may be that old that it was hand made or never stamped...But in all and all great for a dollar....
 
Really nice piece! At the risk of sounding a bit dopey, what is the Ice Test? I'm always into learning something new. Thank you.

It is where you take a piece of ice and place it on the object. If it is silver the ice melts really fast and the piece gets cold super fast also.
 
Really nice piece! At the risk of sounding a bit dopey, what is the Ice Test? I'm always into learning something new. Thank you.

Of all metals, silver is the best conductor of heat and electricity. When you place an ice cube in it, heat is conducted rapidly into the ice from the surrounding environment, making it melt. The silver also gives up its own heat energy rapidly, causing it to feel very cold, very fast.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom