SILVER ROSEY STILL ELUDES ME!

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I started finding silver dimes in the wrong order. Last Christmas I received from my wife, KyDigNQueen, the A T Pro. Before I could hardly figure out how to turn it on, I went out to our farm field and swung it over a fine 1894 Barber dime. A month or so later, not at all comfortable with the controls or understanding the various tones, swung over a beautiful 1920 Merc. A few months later and getting a pretty good handle on the machine, but still a novice on that big learning curve, I dug a nice 1924 Merc. The quest for the silver Rosey began. A lot of time has passed, a lot of coins and items found, l feel very comfortable with the Pro.
In the past year I have dug 163 Rosey clads. Never a silver. Today, my wife and I hit a new permission that holds a lot of promise for that silver Rosey. Every time I got that dime reading today, I just knew it was that silver I want so badly. Nope, clad. Finally in a hole I see silver! Rosey! Nope, another Merc, 1934. Happy and sad. Dig some more holes clad, clad, clad then I see silver again! I know this is it!!! Nope, another Merc, 1924. Happy and sad again. I'm beginning to feel like Captain Ahab, that silver Rosey has become my white whale. On well, today was a good day, tomorrow I will get that White Whale!
Sorry for the long post. I hope you enjoy the pics.
Happy Hunting!
20161129_193301.jpg
20161129_193326.jpg
20161129_193612.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first and only silver rosie this year. I have also only found one silver Washington quarter. I think the old timers cherry picked those early as they were probably the most shallow silver. Even with an Etrac, silver coinage is hard to find when I hunt. When I get a silver hit it is usually jewelry.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the silver finds! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the mercs :occasion14: My fingers are crossed that the Rosie is checked off the list soon.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very happy for you that the Barber and Merc came up for you so quickly......that Rosie isn't far behind.
My pattern has gone Rosie, Barber and..........still looking for the elusive (for me) Merc.............

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rosie was my first two days after I got my ACE 250, then came my merc. I'm still looking for the rest. One day they will give up there hiding place.
Congrats on the silver finds.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them in coinstars and tot lots haven't had to dig one.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding barbers and Mercs and not a Rosie is a good problem. lol That Rosie will come.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll happen and hopefully yet this year!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 21 years in this hobby the 1894 barber dime eludes me, congrats on your finds mercs are better then roseys......:occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Mercurys, but if I dig a Silver Rosie, it will still count as a Silver. I refuse to use them for coffee money. lol
Congrats on a really productive hunt.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rosey's are a strange dime. I found over 170 mercs and less than 80 rosey's this year. Seems like merc's were more plentiful for some reason.

Silver is silver though and any will do. Congrats on your dimes.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
It will come!

just make sure you're not rubbing the coins as soon as they come out of the ground. The coins in the pics look to have some good scratches on them. If you do that and it turns out to be a valuable one you could lose hundreds of dollars.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1903 Barber first and then 6 Mercs before I found my first silver Rosie.

You have to remember that Mercs were minted for 30 years, while silver Rosies were only minted for 19 years. That's probably why Mercs seem to be more common than silver Rosies...

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will come!

just make sure you're not rubbing the coins as soon as they come out of the ground. The coins in the pics look to have some good scratches on them. If you do that and it turns out to be a valuable one you could lose hundreds of dollars.
Thanks for the advice. They came from an area that is a harsh environment and were in this condition when found. I won't loose any money because I'll never sell. My wife, when I'm dead and gone, will. LOL.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1903 Barber first and then 6 Mercs before I found my first silver Rosie.

You have to remember that Mercs were minted for 30 years, while silver Rosies were only minted for 19 years. That's probably why Mercs seem to be more common than silver Rosies...

From 1916 to 1945,, there were approximately 2 billion, 649 million Mercurys minted. That's 29 years.
From 1946 to 1964,, there were approximately 6 billion,
596 million silver Roses minted. That's 19 years.
Almost 4 billion more Silver Rosies were released from the mint. Don't ask me why it seems that more mercurys are recovered.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig rosies, mercs & barbers every year, only got a '40 & '77-S seated, plus 2 Trimes. would put a few Rosies & Mercs back in the hole for ya':laughing7:__________if only I could snag a Half Dime, Draped, Capped, etc. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread