SILVER ROSEY STILL ELUDES ME!

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I started finding silver dimes in the wrong order. Last Christmas I received from my wife, KyDigNQueen, the A T Pro. Before I could hardly figure out how to turn it on, I went out to our farm field and swung it over a fine 1894 Barber dime. A month or so later, not at all comfortable with the controls or understanding the various tones, swung over a beautiful 1920 Merc. A few months later and getting a pretty good handle on the machine, but still a novice on that big learning curve, I dug a nice 1924 Merc. The quest for the silver Rosey began. A lot of time has passed, a lot of coins and items found, l feel very comfortable with the Pro.
In the past year I have dug 163 Rosey clads. Never a silver. Today, my wife and I hit a new permission that holds a lot of promise for that silver Rosey. Every time I got that dime reading today, I just knew it was that silver I want so badly. Nope, clad. Finally in a hole I see silver! Rosey! Nope, another Merc, 1934. Happy and sad. Dig some more holes clad, clad, clad then I see silver again! I know this is it!!! Nope, another Merc, 1924. Happy and sad again. I'm beginning to feel like Captain Ahab, that silver Rosey has become my white whale. On well, today was a good day, tomorrow I will get that White Whale!
Sorry for the long post. I hope you enjoy the pics.
Happy Hunting!
20161129_193301.jpg
20161129_193326.jpg
20161129_193612.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Echoing what others have pretty much said, silver rosies are few and far between in many areas compared to mercs. Here, the merc:silver-rosie ratio is about 10:2, so I get a little extra excited when a silver rosie pops out of the dirt. Then there's silver quarters, which are much tougher in my area. I've only found a single silver quarter this year. As previously mentioned, I think the old timers cherry picked them long ago. A friend says they would find them all the time in the late 70s/early 80s. Only place I've ever found silver quarters is in ground that had obviously never seen the coil - something tough to find when you live in a heavily populated and relatively young region.

$stinger

Nov 4, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KW, I had a Merc, Barber, and a seated before i found my one and only Rosie. Just keep swinging and you'll get it. Congrats.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it Kentuckywonder.

Think of it this way:

They made :

Seated dimes - 34 years

Barber dimes - 24 years

Mercury dimes - 29 years

Silver Rooseys - 18 years

and........

CLAD Rooseys - FIFTY ONE YEARS!!!!

(all approximations of course)

So, ya see...the odds are stacked against. LOL

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There may have been 6 billion silver Rosies minted, but I'll bet 4 billion of them were melted down in 1980, when silver hit $50.00 an ounce. Easy to scrap a silver Rosie for cash, but a lot fewer coin collectors would be willing to scrap a Merc. Just my take on it...

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found as many Barber dimes as silver Roosevelt dimes, and WAY more Mercs than either. And that's okay with me!

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the input, info and advice.
It looks as though we all have that White Whale that eludes us in one form or another. I'm sure as soon as I find that Rosie there will soon be another Dragon to chase. I suppose that is what makes this hobby so rewarding and frustrating at the same time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always Figured My main reason for Not Finding Silver Roseys is because
most are Shallow & the first coins dug.
My memory isn't the greatest But I'm fairly Confident My first piece of Silver was a Roosie at
town I live in's Swimming hole.
I also seem to remember I had a hard time finding my first Merc.

However like WHADIFIND says numbers surly play a part in this.
like standing liberty quarters, almost as rare as hen's teeth for some of us these days.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the other side of the coin is its good to have firsts to still get . Keep Pluugin away !!!!!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes silver Rosies can be harder to find than the Mercs and Barbers, depending on the age/era of the place you are hunting. Try hunting some parkways or homes and parks from the 1950's and early 1960's and I'll bet you will have your Rosie by Jan. 1 2017 ! Its been over a year since I found a Rosie, but I have found numerous Seated, Barber, and Merc dimes this year because I hunt homesteads from the 1870's, and the homes are usually torn down in the early 1900's. Good luck on your quest.

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the input, info and advice.
It looks as though we all have that White Whale that eludes us in one form or another. I'm sure as soon as I find that Rosie there will soon be another Dragon to chase. I suppose that is what makes this hobby so rewarding and frustrating at the same time.

Yeah, it REALLY is a strange thing! They only made Flying Eagle cents for 3 years and the first year doesn't really count. I have found SIX of those! LOL

Does put things in perspective. :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it REALLY is a strange thing! They only made Flying Eagle cents for 3 years and the first year doesn't really count. I have found SIX of those! LOL

Does put things in perspective. :)
and 2 Centers seem Plentiful here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread