What's new

Silver Thimble

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this on Sunday, Hallmark inside looks to be by Simons. Considering it is not marked as silver it must be pretty old, my guess is mid 1800's. Also found a wheat penny, the date is hard to read but it looks like 1909.

aad.webp20151029_185043.webp
It has a six on the side indicating the size.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 30
Congrats on pulling the silver thimble. :occasion14: She's a beaut. Wonder how old it is?
 
Nice thimble, always cool to dig them. If yours is marked SBC it may be nickle silver and not sterling.Maybe you could test it if you wanted to be sure. Just a thought.
 
Did you see mine i found recently? Mine read Sterling in an arch over the size number. Also by the same company. I emailed them, but they didnt offer too much information other than its pretty old, from the early 1900's... I hoped for more information, but go ahead an give it a try as well
 
Good find Coinman, but I got to say again it helps alot to crop an image of a small item to help (a lot) with IDing the piece.

thimble_1.webp
 
Nice thimble, always cool to dig them. If yours is marked SBC it may be nickle silver and not sterling.Maybe you could test it if you wanted to be sure. Just a thought.

Thanks Villagenut. Right now I'm pretty sure it's silver, If it were nickle silver it would not come out of the ground in good shape. Nickle Silver is and alloy of 75% copper 25% nickle, same composition as a US Nickel. I don't have any way to test it right now, sometime I will need to buy silver test though.

I don't see any markings except for the hallmark on the inside, thanks to the people in "What is it?" I was able to find out the company that made it.
 
Opps, I see you have done so. I was too late.
Anyway I would like to find one in such shape, as my "only" silver thimble is crushed, and cut in half, so it harly counts.
Continued success in your fall season.

Rick
 
Very nice coinman. That's a really nice find. Give me one of those over a couple of silver quarters or dimes any day.
 
Opps, I see you have done so. I was too late.
Anyway I would like to find one in such shape, as my "only" silver thimble is crushed, and cut in half, so it harly counts.
Continued success in your fall season.

Rick

Thanks for the cropping anyway, more cropped than my version. I'm curious to see your thimble, any photos? Ironically, the hunt before I found the silver thimble I found a brass one, so far I have found three thimbles, one silver (this one), and two brass. Funny how two of them were found back to back.
 
Congratulations on the cool find!
 
Great shape your thimble is in, and something I would dig one day also. Congrats on the sweet find.
I've got two sterling Georgian thimbles stuck together and being thrashed around in the fields for hundreds of years it's taken the toll, lots of brass ones that are nice.
 
Congrats on a cool find. I have found a few but I don't believe any were silver.
 
Nice one CM123! I have a couple of thimbles, but no silver ones.
 
Thanks for the cropping anyway, more cropped than my version. I'm curious to see your thimble, any photos? Ironically, the hunt before I found the silver thimble I found a brass one, so far I have found three thimbles, one silver (this one), and two brass. Funny how two of them were found back to back.

I got quite a few base metal ones, aluminum, and copper/brass, but this is the only one that is Silver, and as you can see leaves a lot to be desired.

IMG_1666.webp
 
Beautiful thimble and in great shape. Definitely on my wish list. Congratulations.
 
Congratz! That thimble is beautiful!!! I can't wait to dig one of my own!
 
Yup pre 1900 and its a nice one....:occasion14:
 
Welcome to the Silver thimble club. It was one of my first good finds. Although yours is in way better shape than mine and I would gladly trade you any day ha ha.

Great save man really good find
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom