Slate Gorget From Scioto County, Ohio

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing this piece in one of my posts a couple of people had asked to see better pictures of it and I finally found them. This piece was purchased from Billy Hillen at one of the ASO shows in Columbus back around 1993 or 1994. The reason I bought it is I had wanted a nice Gorget forever and hadn't had any luck in finding one(and still haven't), plus it was found in my home county of Scioto by a local collector. It is made from slate, though not the banded variety, but as you can see from the pictures it does has lighter colors on both ends that are commonly referred to as worm holes.

Pics-099.jpg

Pics-100.jpg

Pics-101.jpg

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
BE-A-utiful ! What a find that would be for sure! It must be great just holding it and studying it. Someday maybe you will find one too.

Good luck! HH!

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fine fine slate Gorget, I would love to find such a precious Artifact.
Thankyou for posting it for us. Fine example.

Molly. :thumbsup:

sixgun

Jul 6, 2008
DorkFish said:
After seeing this piece in one of my posts a couple of people had asked to see better pictures of it and I finally found them. This piece was purchased from Billy Hillen at one of the ASO shows in Columbus back around 1993 or 1994. The reason I bought it is I had wanted a nice Gorget forever and hadn't had any luck in finding one(and still haven't), plus it was found in my home county of Scioto by a local collector. It is made from slate, though not the banded variety, but as you can see from the pictures it does has lighter colors on both ends that are commonly referred to as worm holes.

Pics-099.jpg

Pics-100.jpg

Pics-101.jpg
super gorget

sixgun

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super nice. I've found one small piece of a shale one and one half of a hematite, but no wholes. That is one super duper piece. If I was going to buy, it would be just like that. Local and one that I knew and trusted the finder. Thanks for the peek.
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread