Slaying some Virginia Gold nuggets with the GPX4800

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finished up the video of my second successful hunt with the GPX4800 in Virginia. Running the 15x12 commander mono, with the GPX running in Enhance. Dug over 100 trash targets but got 4 nice gold nuggets. It seems that everytime i turn the camera on to dig i get trash, and when i dont out pops a gold nugget.

Hope you all enjoy!

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finished up the video of my second successful hunt with the GPX4800 in Virginia. Running the 15x12 commander mono, with the GPX running in Enhance. Dug over 100 trash targets but got 4 nice gold nuggets. It seems that everytime i turn the camera on to dig i get trash, and when i dont out pops a gold nugget.

Hope you all enjoy!

Seems to be the way it goes, nice finds by the way!

All the best,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It always works that way. i was detecting silver on the weekend. Getting little pieces and lots of junk. Didn't turn on my camera when I dug a marginal signal and got my best nugget yet. 2-3 lb solid silver, museum quality. I had a GoPro on my dog, so I really hope she was on the job.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It always works that way. i was detecting silver on the weekend. Getting little pieces and lots of junk. Didn't turn on my camera when I dug a marginal signal and got my best nugget yet. 2-3 lb solid silver, museum quality. I had a GoPro on my dog, so I really hope she was on the job.

Nice find!!

Seems like you're getting dialled in.

All the best,

Lanny

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice video, great gold....next time leave out the obnoxious extremely loud music. Volume was 30 times louder than the rest of the video. Other than that, keep up the great work finding the nice shiny gold. Dennis

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great finds, gold is elusive, ive chased it since the 70s, know how exciting it is to find, i can close my eyes and see the first nugget i found, a 1/4 ozer yikes i was happy....

Last edited:

Placer Paul

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say you are digging up a lot of trash before you get the nugget. That's a pretty pricey detector. Does it not discriminate out the trash well enough to let you know it's trash and not to dig it up? Or does the sound and reading for stuff like aluminum still look/sound like it does if it was gold? I know iron is easier to tell and not dig it up but just wondering isn't there a setting where it will differentiate between gold and other conductive metals?
Asking cause I'm trying to find out the best detector I can buy for both depth and for finding specifically gold nuggets. I have a Whites GMT and it is horrible around hot rocks but it's pretty decent at finding shallow gold.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those big Minelabs won't discriminate as they are PI machine. Looks like Orange County red dirt, or maybe just into Culpeper County. Surprised no Civil War artifacts in the batch.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPX,when set up to do so, will blank out over iron.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Discrimination on some PI's, yes, but don't ever use it. When gold prospecting with a PI you dig it all. Never trust discrimination when detecting gold. The only exception would be an extremely trashy area using a proper VLF with known good discrimination circuit, but even then you will miss gold due to loss of sensitivity. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread