flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in a 57 camper my brother in law lived in. He only owned it for a few years. He gave the trailer to me to junk / help him out! So when I was cleaning it out I found this....
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475198081.397669.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475198106.824121.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475198160.909894.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475198215.031801.jpg

It has 8 notches in the handle!!!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475198299.944044.jpg
Is it a throwing axe?
Boy scout hatchet?
Toy/souvenir axe?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be a small pack axe, or it could have been meant for more detailed chopping when making bowls, canoes, etc.

I don't think it's a toy, and I also doubt it's meant for throwing. ....But I'm only guessing, of course!! :tongue3:

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably rare and highly collectible in the community of axe collectors, for all I know?. I've never seen one like it.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a small pack axe, or it could have been meant for more detailed chopping when making bowls, canoes, etc.

I don't think it's a toy, and I also doubt it's meant for throwing. ....But I'm only guessing, of course!! :tongue3:

I saw a couple of these on line called 'carving hatchets".

23741364n.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carving hatchet ?? I'll have to check that out.
I'm not sure but the handle maybe original!
A flathead screw was added later. Apparently coming loose.

Upvote 0

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The handle is completely inappropriate for the head, I'm certain it's a replacement.

Might be some hope of identification, though -- look on the underside of the poll (that's the 'hammer' opposite the edge) and see if there's a small number there. Right where the handle and head meet, on the handle side of the head.

The head seems too thick for what I'm thinking, but it's worth asking. The key to identification, in my opinion, is the unusual means of attachment.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I like it ..alot!
The bulb on the handle makes it a poor candidate for throwing. We want handle to slide like an ice sickle held by small end. While I have thrown a short handle...from elbow to knuckles of closed fist ( around sixteen inches) works best for me to make one revolution at four paces.
Congrats on a neat save.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The handle is completely inappropriate for the head, I'm certain it's a replacement.

Might be some hope of identification, though -- look on the underside of the poll (that's the 'hammer' opposite the edge) and see if there's a small number there. Right where the handle and head meet, on the handle side of the head.

The head seems too thick for what I'm thinking, but it's worth asking. The key to identification, in my opinion, is the unusual means of attachment.

Z,
Thank you! Their is a 5 on it where you said to look!
The handle may not be original?? But it appears to be cut in a "U" then nailed through the top holes!
Anything you can tell me about it with that additional information?

HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread