What's new

Small bell: 18th or 19th century?

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
1,417
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi T-netters

I'm really pleased with this beautiful little bell (about 2 inches tall), but I'm struggling to find any online guide/reference that can help me place its age, or tell me more about how it might have been used (put on livestock? part of an arrangement on a carriage?). Would appreciate any help.
bell 2.webp

For context, the home I was detecting was built in the 1850s, but I also found a 1798 draped bust (8 over 7) and a 1783 nova constellation (blunt ray), so there was definitely settlement or activity that predates the home.

Thanks and HH
 

Attachments

  • 78 2.webp
    78 2.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Coin 1.webp
    Coin 1.webp
    47.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Nova 1.webp
    Nova 1.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Nova 4.webp
    Nova 4.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Upvote 26
Looks like a sheep bell, can't help with the date but it has a lot less corrosion than the coins.
 
Congrats on some great coins and bell
 
Don't know anything about the bell, but those coppers would benefit from an olive oil bath,
 
They went on heavy horses & carriages, I think they span the late 18th-19th C. (Need to check)
 
Bell - UK Finds Database -
Didn't realise they were sheep as well, the ones I get are pretty big for that, but I guess some smaller ones were. The date range doesn't help much 17th-19th C
 
That's great stuff, thanks all. Tommy and Crusader, really appreciate the references. I was also happy to learn the origin of "be there with bells on!"

Looks like a nice match for an earlier conestoga wagon bell set...one of the smaller ones. Perhaps early 1800s?

I was also thinking about how the rumble or crotal bells were a better match for the motion of the horse, at least in terms of a continuous sound. I would have loved to be there to hear the differences in person.

conestoga bells.webp
 
The bell looks like vintage (more than 50 years old) stuff, and was probably used for livestock. Sheep, horses, cattle could all use them.

The LCs are great, Z.K.!
 
Very nice bell find! I really love the old coppers! Congratualtions on the awesome recoveries. :occasion14:
 
That's great stuff, thanks all. Tommy and Crusader, really appreciate the references. I was also happy to learn the origin of "be there with bells on!"

Looks like a nice match for an earlier conestoga wagon bell set...one of the smaller ones. Perhaps early 1800s?

I was also thinking about how the rumble or crotal bells were a better match for the motion of the horse, at least in terms of a continuous sound. I would have loved to be there to hear the differences in person.

View attachment 1354047

Crotal bells were mostly for sheep & goats, although the bigger ones were used on cattle & horse.
You have sleigh bells as well, different attachment than the crotals/rumblers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom