Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi T-netters

I'm really pleased with this beautiful little bell (about 2 inches tall), but I'm struggling to find any online guide/reference that can help me place its age, or tell me more about how it might have been used (put on livestock? part of an arrangement on a carriage?). Would appreciate any help.
bell 2.JPG

For context, the home I was detecting was built in the 1850s, but I also found a 1798 draped bust (8 over 7) and a 1783 nova constellation (blunt ray), so there was definitely settlement or activity that predates the home.

Thanks and HH

Attachments

• 78 2.JPG
    78 2.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Coin 1.JPG
    Coin 1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Nova 1.JPG
    Nova 1.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Nova 4.jpg
    Nova 4.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Upvote 13

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a sheep bell, can't help with the date but it has a lot less corrosion than the coins.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know anything about the bell, but those coppers would benefit from an olive oil bath,

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They went on heavy horses & carriages, I think they span the late 18th-19th C. (Need to check)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bell - UK Finds Database -
Didn't realise they were sheep as well, the ones I get are pretty big for that, but I guess some smaller ones were. The date range doesn't help much 17th-19th C

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's great stuff, thanks all. Tommy and Crusader, really appreciate the references. I was also happy to learn the origin of "be there with bells on!"

Looks like a nice match for an earlier conestoga wagon bell set...one of the smaller ones. Perhaps early 1800s?

I was also thinking about how the rumble or crotal bells were a better match for the motion of the horse, at least in terms of a continuous sound. I would have loved to be there to hear the differences in person.

conestoga bells.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The bell looks like vintage (more than 50 years old) stuff, and was probably used for livestock. Sheep, horses, cattle could all use them.

The LCs are great, Z.K.!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice bell find! I really love the old coppers! Congratualtions on the awesome recoveries. :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great stuff, thanks all. Tommy and Crusader, really appreciate the references. I was also happy to learn the origin of "be there with bells on!"

Looks like a nice match for an earlier conestoga wagon bell set...one of the smaller ones. Perhaps early 1800s?

I was also thinking about how the rumble or crotal bells were a better match for the motion of the horse, at least in terms of a continuous sound. I would have loved to be there to hear the differences in person.

View attachment 1354047

Crotal bells were mostly for sheep & goats, although the bigger ones were used on cattle & horse.
You have sleigh bells as well, different attachment than the crotals/rumblers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread