What's new

✅ SOLVED Small button(ish) brass thing with WOOD inside

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
2,858
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From known CW camp. Wood inside. Bullet for scale. Any ideas?

DSCN4668.webp

DSCN4670.webp
 
That's a cool find! Does wood survive 100+ years in the Virginia soil? I suppose there are lots of variables...

Here is a page with some examples but not much specific info. All of them have thread holes, not a slot (presumably for a shank?). Or was yours a two hole that has worn together as one bigger hole?

18th & 19th CenturyInfantry GeneralsNavy Admirals ? George Washington Inaugural Buttons

These are all WAY older than CW era.
 
Upvote 0
I don't know what it is but it dose look strangely familiar. ???
GLWID
Davers
 
Upvote 0
Davers, I think somebody nailed it in "Today's finds." Thumbwheel for kerosene lamp. That's why it looked familiar to BOTH of us!! And DC Matt - heck YES! I routinely find enfield bullets with the original wood plug still in the back, and occasionally a bullet in wood . . .

DSCN2765.webp
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Spur ID
Replies
8
Views
774
Replies
3
Views
438
Replies
6
Views
577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom