What's new

Small Coin

torpedo01

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found a small most likely silver coin. Front has SC in center and writing on it can only make out VIRA. Back seems to have a bell on it and BLANDVSC. It is smaller than a dime. Anyone have any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • P1010845.webp
    P1010845.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 449
  • P1010846.webp
    P1010846.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 432
  • P1010846.webp
    P1010846.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 421
  • P1010845.webp
    P1010845.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 427
  • P1010846.webp
    P1010846.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 442
  • P1010845.webp
    P1010845.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 447
Nice coin!

Where was it found?

It looks Roman. I think you have an imperial roman quadran from Augustus 27BC-AD14. The reverse is an altar not a bell. The SC stands for "Senato Consulto" which means “by the decree of the Senate”.

Here are two pictures of AE quandrans from 27BC-AD14 that look similar to yours.

HH!
Moe
 

Attachments

  • roman2.webp
    roman2.webp
    12 KB · Views: 413
  • roman1.webp
    roman1.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0
Way to go, Moe!





(But leave some stuff for the rest of us to ID. :'( ;D)
 
Upvote 0
Nice 2,000 year old coin :o How and where (which country) did you find it?

and nice ID Moe; are you sure 'SC' isn't 'Silver Coin' :icon_jokercolor:
Mike
 
Upvote 0
So its not a gold coin, but a silver one. I guess a better photo is in order...

It sure looks like a roman gold coin for sure! Its so clean, if found in the ground and silver or bronze it would not come out so good (I think, who knows...)
 
Upvote 0
Moe (fl) said:
Nice coin!

Where was it found?

It looks Roman. I think you have an imperial roman quadran from Augustus 27BC-AD14. The reverse is an altar not a bell. The SC stands for "Senato Consulto" which means “by the decree of the Senate”.

Here are two pictures of AE quandrans from 27BC-AD14 that look similar to yours.

HH!
Moe

I agree with most of this. Good ID on the alter. What is puzzelling me is the size & if silver would be too small for a Denarius.

How many mm is it?

Can you get an in focus picture?

Are you sure is silver or is it bronze?

Where was it found, the soil was very kind to it?
 
Upvote 0
I go along with Moe's call: Augustus.
In fact, Augustus' coins include at least 28 varieties with the connected letters: VIRA. Knowing the letter(s) that preceed(s) the 'V" or succeeds the "A" will narrow the field.
But what is throwing me off is that only Commodus (177-192 AD) had DVSC in his legends--and no ruler had BLANDVSC in the legend. (Statements always qualified to my limited research.)
Don........
 
Upvote 0
Augustus had coins made by a number of independant moneyers during his reign. One of them was C Rubellius Blandus in 4 BC. He made a bronze quadrans with the obverse inscription C RUBELLIUS BLANDUS and a reverse inscription of III VIR A A A F F. The physical description matches also. If the coin appears silver, I'd guess that it was plated at some time to enhance it's appearance.
 
Upvote 0
Cool. I thought it might be Roman. Its great. I found the coin at the Grocery Store. Someone had left it at the checkout and I asked the checkout girl if I could have it. She just gave it to me. I think I know how it got there too. There was a claw machine in town last year that boasted real Roman coins. I guess someone won it and just left it at the store. I dont think its bronze and its shiny because I took an eraser to it (I know it was a stupid move). I dont think its worth much, but I will keep it in my coin collection. I collect moderrn gold and silver coins from around the world. You guys make me want to go buy a metal detector and go to the beach. I live in the Southeast USA. I think it is silver plated and thanks for the info.
 

Attachments

  • P1010852.webp
    P1010852.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 327
  • P1010860.webp
    P1010860.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
Fast Ed:
Good catch. Yes, I see that one of moneyer's (Blandus) coins shows the legend ending in BLANDVS and another variety ends in BLANDVSSC, but none ending in BLANDVSC as mentioned in the thread's initial posting. Hopefully, we'll soon see another pic with more clarity.
Don....
 
Upvote 0
Fast_Dave said:
Augustus had coins made by a number of independant moneyers during his reign. One of them was C Rubellius Blandus in 4 BC. He made a bronze quadrans with the obverse inscription C RUBELLIUS BLANDUS and a reverse inscription of III VIR A A A F F. The physical description matches also. If the coin appears silver, I'd guess that it was plated at some time to enhance it's appearance.
I think the legend is so cramped on the small coin that the first letter in C RUBELLIUS BLANDUS was thought to be the last letter instead, making the legend RUBELLIUS BLANDUSC
 
Upvote 0
Can't really see your photo clearly, does it look like one of these?
 

Attachments

  • sc1.webp
    sc1.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 262
  • sc.webp
    sc.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom