What's new

Small Decorative Shield?

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug this item at an old house site that was torn down in the 1960s and is now a farm field. It is 1 1/2" long by 1 1/4" wide and made of brass (I believe). The back looks the same as the front but with no tiny (grape cluster) decorations in the corners. There are no visible means of attachment that I can see. Just wondering if anyone else has ever dug one or seen one before. I'm guessing it to be a furniture decoration or something but would like other imput.
 

Attachments

  • Dec17th20118th.webp
    Dec17th20118th.webp
    73.6 KB · Views: 667
  • Dec17th20113rd.webp
    Dec17th20113rd.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 663
  • Dec17th20118th.webp
    Dec17th20118th.webp
    73.6 KB · Views: 665
  • Dec17th20113rd.webp
    Dec17th20113rd.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 652
I have no idea what it could be, but i just love the key you found.
Cheers
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking this shield was a lady's pin, made from sheet brass in 2 pieces. The missing back piece was identical to the front, and fit within the edges, and held the pin attachment. Of course, all of this is an assumption without seeing the back of it. Neat find :icon_thumleft: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I'm thinking this shield was a lady's pin, made from sheet brass in 2 pieces. The missing back piece was identical to the front, and fit within the edges, and held the pin attachment. Of course, all of this is an assumption without seeing the back of it. Neat find :icon_thumleft: Breezie
Breezie ... I believe you are correct ... the piece has no attachments but the back of the shield has an area that could sort of snap into another similar piece ... thanks for your imput and ID!
 
Upvote 0
Breezie, would there have been a stone or cabochon in the center? just curious.
Cheers
 
Upvote 0
Gecko said:
Breezie, would there have been a stone or cabochon in the center? just curious.
Cheers

Gecko, Yes, there could have been some type of stone or the likes in the center, but it would have had to been glued since there are no prongs or the evidence of attachment. :icon_thumleft: Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom