Small scale smelter--help needed

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK i have a few questions about this.
the scrap metal dealer by me wont accept AL cans >:( >:(!!!! so i am melting them down into blocks or bigger chunks. so far i have used a wood fire. and it has made enough heat to melt the cans fine. i like wood because is free ;). but this is the problem i have used a steel coffee can. but when it is in the fire the sides get a type of thin rust on them. that and ashes go in the melted AL and makes it look bad. my questions is what should i use? i don't want something thick because it may not heat up as easy. i was thinking getting a cheep stainless pot at a garage sale. do you think that would work or it would still rust inside even with the lid?

please help.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
look up blacksmithing on the web. also look for cupola there a number of plans for bench top smelter.

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
transplant said:
look up blacksmithing on the web. also look for cupola there a number of plans for bench top smelter.
thanks for the fast relpy. i have looked online most of the ones online are gass or propaine :(

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
maybe a cast iron pot would work, where are you from that they won't take aluminum cans? Any other dealers?

Rumblebelly

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in north jersey. i think its because they have a recycling program they take the plastic glass etc. they come once every 2 weeks. so they probally don't take it for that reason.

i never thought of that thanks i will try it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions