What's new

Small T-Handle Tool...

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug this little guy today in the open woods. Nearest homesite is 1/2 mile away. At first I thought it was just a t-handled hex wrench. Then I noticed the end is twisted. The end looks a lot like a drill bit. Still needs more cleaning. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!
-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • gimlet_b.webp
    gimlet_b.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 180
  • gimlet_b.webp
    gimlet_b.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 164
  • gimlet_a.webp
    gimlet_a.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 157
Hummmm, I thought at first it might be a bullet retrival tool for the old muzzle loader style derringer but the twist is a bit deep. I have one similar for my muzzle loading pistol and another for my rifle but they are muh longer. Are you in maple tree country? Could be an old hand drill for cutting a small plug for maple sap.

Ain't this a great job? Ya gotta love it! Okay, what's the next idea? ;D
 
Upvote 0
White Feather said:
Hummmm, I thought at first it might be a bullet retrival tool for the old muzzle loader style derringer but the twist is a bit deep. I have one similar for my muzzle loading pistol and another for my rifle but they are muh longer. Are you in maple tree country? Could be an old hand drill for cutting a small plug for maple sap.

Ain't this a great job? Ya gotta love it! Okay, what's the next idea? ;D

The area is public hunting. If I only had a dollar for every shell I dig. The area also has quite a bit of 18th century history which is why I'm out there. No maple trees.
-Swartzie
 
Upvote 0
I think thats a tool called a GIMLET.
It's used for drilling small holes by
early carpenters. I've seen them with loop handles,
straight handles, and T handles.

Hay2
 

Attachments

  • 220px-Gimlet_-_tool.webp
    220px-Gimlet_-_tool.webp
    4 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
For tiny corks ??
I don't think the twist has enough
area to pull a cork out.
It's a neat find though, probably lost
by a turn of the century carpenter
or cabinet maker.
People that enjoy working with old
tools using the old methods can still
buy new Gimlets today through custom
woodworking stores.

Hay2
 

Attachments

  • 315992.webp
    315992.webp
    3.8 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
It's a gimlet. Carpenters used them and so did units of artillary. Neat find...d2
 
Upvote 0
If the entire piece is iron it probably is a gimlet; if not it could be a tubeless tire plugger.
We used them quite often until most of the rural roads were paved.

Regards
Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
I looked up gimlet and found a place online that has one from the revolutionary war used for cleaning out a musket touch hole or flash pan. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rev-war-18th-century-iron-gimlet-tool-hand I thought how interesting because that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Just two miles from this find is Ohio's only revolutionary war fort (ft Laurens). Also, military history before that (Bouquet). So what do you think. Is it a carpenters tool or a soldiers? Or maybe just a pioneer. I attached a couple pictures of the gimlet I saw online.

-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • Clipboard01.webp
    Clipboard01.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 305
  • Clipboard02.webp
    Clipboard02.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0
Nailed it Swartzie!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great find, Swartzie!
Great solution HayBudden2!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Could be either a capenters or artillery gimbel I suppose, but it's identical to the picture.....
It would depend on the other things recovered from the site as to which it is.
Green Check!!

Regards
Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
haybudden2 said:
I think thats a tool called a GIMLET.
It's used for drilling small holes by
early carpenters. I've seen them with loop handles,
straight handles, and T handles.

Hay2

Bingo!!I have found two of them and really think they are special.Both of mine came from strictly 1850's sites and were a very versatile tool for piercing metal,leather or heavy canvas.We found a soapstone camp made pipe that had the exact same diameter hole as well.

Post note,neither of mine or the several others by my buds were found in camps that had any wood structures or military affiliation.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom