What's new

Smittyman Finds Watch Fob

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
10,082
Reaction score
17,067
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Our hero, Smittyman, was able to recover this watch fob last Sunday. He also scored a couple of silver coins, but is too modest to allow me to post those (Merc & Washington). In case some of you are not aware, I am Smittyman's official biographer and chronicler of his adventures.

The fob was compliments of the Marion Steam Shovel Co., founded in 1884 in Ohio, and operated until 1946 under that name. The steam shovel is actually mounted on a railroad car. These were the shovels that built the Panama Canal. I am unable to date the fob, any assistance would be most appreciated.

The fob was subjected to electrolysis to remove the patina. Smittyman has a lot patina too, I wonder if electrolysis would work on him...

Smittyman thanks you for looking and wishes you good luck on your hunts!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150429_193442_416-1.webp
    IMG_20150429_193442_416-1.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20150429_203526_062-1.webp
    IMG_20150429_203526_062-1.webp
    589.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Upvote 34
Congrats Smittyman. Looking forward to more stories from your official Biographer.
 
Tell Smittyman thanks for sharing with us, nice job saving a little bit of history there ! :occasion14:
 
Nice watch fob! WTG smittyman!
 
Nice fob. If I had to guess it would be right around the turn of the century 1900's to teens. This was the style then and after most fobs became round or OVal
 
Nice looking fob Smittyman!! Been awhile since I found any fobs and I always like finding them, good deal!!
 
All I have to say about this is IF you find stuff worthy of posting you post your owns stuff. When you DO NOT find anything good and are starving to post stuff you have to resort to posting other people's stuff. It's very very sad to have to sink this low 2 Tones Tom. You might have to get the AT Pro out and take it for a spin if you're luck doesn't change soon.
 
All I have to say about this is IF you find stuff worthy of posting you post your owns stuff. When you DO NOT find anything good and are starving to post stuff you have to resort to posting other people's stuff. It's very very sad to have to sink this low 2 Tones Tom. You might have to get the AT Pro out and take it for a spin if you're luck doesn't change soon.

Day Ummmm......
 
All I have to say about this is IF you find stuff worthy of posting you post your owns stuff. When you DO NOT find anything good and are starving to post stuff you have to resort to posting other people's stuff. It's very very sad to have to sink this low 2 Tones Tom. You might have to get the AT Pro out and take it for a spin if you're luck doesn't change soon.

This IS a new low for me... however, I honestly believe that I can go lower, if I really put my mind to it.
 
Tom, is it okay for me to post here also ? I ain't been finding nothing lately either.
 
Our hero, Smittyman, was able to recover this watch fob last Sunday. He also scored a couple of silver coins, but is too modest to allow me to post those (Merc & Washington). In case some of you are not aware, I am Smittyman's official biographer and chronicler of his adventures.

As long as Smittyman is ok with someone else posting his finds, I'm glad to see them.

Nice.
 

Wow! :o That piece cleaned up amazing Tom! :notworthy:

Love this line, "Smittyman has a lot patina too, I wonder if electrolysis would work on him." :laughing7:

Dave
 
Just how much does " Official Biographer " pay? I know a certain pink pad using, pink tights wearing detectorist that I could tell a story or 2 on...hmmm.
 
Just how much does " Official Biographer " pay? I know a certain pink pad using, pink tights wearing detectorist that I could tell a story or 2 on...hmmm.
enough of this nonsense already.........

lol!!
 
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Tom did a great job cleaning that thing up.

We'll be going head to head again tomorrow - 3 Deus' against my lone Minelab. Y'all wish me luck - I sure if I want good luck or bad - if I come out ahead Tom is threatening to "remove my patina".
 
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Tom did a great job cleaning that thing up.

We'll be going head to head again tomorrow - 3 Deus' against my lone Minelab. Y'all wish me luck - I sure if I want good luck or bad - if I come out ahead Tom is threatening to "remove my patina".

Smittyman spanked all three of us last week... somehow, I must have left that detail out...
 
Blade runner, the metal detecting was also a spanking event. My eyes are still red from all my crying.
 
Nice Fob. They are one of my favorite things to dig. Congrats.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom