May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw an eBay auction for a ladies vintage Tavannes watch for a buy it now price of $85 or best offer. The seller did not deal in watches and everything I saw made me think this was a gold men's watch. I took a chance and made a $75 offer and it was accepted. The watch arrived in the mail today and guess what my intuition was correct. 14kt Gold. The back alone weighs 5.4 g and the good news is the watch runs. It is 20 mm x 36 mm which is a little small but I am certain it was a men's. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495753658.751622.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495753668.624406.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495753679.222681.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495753687.714227.jpg

That's awesome!! Great way to follow your intuition.

It pays to know your stuff. Good grab. I've snagged a couple things myself in the past, just based on the title wording or lack thereof I should say. Generic titling I guess you could call it, lol.

It pays to know your stuff. Good grab. I've snagged a couple things myself in the past, just based on the title wording or lack thereof I should say. Generic titling I guess you could call it, lol.

Here is a big hint. Shhh!!!!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495758999.591318.jpg

Well I'll be....I have a box full of watches from a house cleanout. I am not into watches and need to go through them to see if I am rich......

Awesome. I got an unmarked gold ring for free at a sale, it had "that" look and feel to it, just no markings whatsoever so the guy said I could have it. Tested 14K, 3.98 'pennyweight' of goodness. Gotta love gold. :thumbsup:

Nice job JimDon.

The only solid gold watch I have found had no marking except a big 585 marking on the back:tongue3:

IMG_0522.JPG

I'm sure if it had been marked 14K instead it never would have made it out for sale at the thrift shop.

I remember taking a chance on a watch once with similar results. It was late in the day at an estate sale i stopped by after running some errands. I spotted a unmarked ladies watch in the jewelry case and figured 5.00 was worth the price. Once in my truck i popped the back open as rewarded with a 14k stamp. I also ended up with a ladies Omega that way. No marking on the case or 14k white gold band. I was very happy with that find for 10.00

Here is a big hint. Shhh!!!!
View attachment 1455142

I wasn't sure if anyone figured out what I meant so I thought I'd point it out . The eBay photos did not include the image you see which clearly shows the Swiss Hallmark. That would have made it easy . It only showed the other edge which does not have the hallmark. I based my assumption that this was gold on the fit of the case. It appears to be crafted from a block of gold and filed down for a flush fit. You would not see that on my gold filled or gold plated piece.

Sometimes these threads are like taking a master class. Thanks for the lesson JimDon. After your $75 investment, what would you value this piece at? Just curious. I think it's really nice and would wear it myself.

Sometimes these threads are like taking a master class. Thanks for the lesson JimDon. After your $75 investment, what would you value this piece at? Just curious. I think it's really nice and would wear it myself.

Glad I could share some knowledge. I estimate the Watch value at $300-$400.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back