Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Close-up photo I took of one of my fossil tooth finds from a couple years ago. This site was a new housing development construction on dry land. They skimmed off the upper layers of soil, to reveal an undisturbed former seabed, that was loaded with fossils. Estimated age of this layer is around 20 to 25 million years old, based on fossil finds. The soil had not turned to stone, but was a yellow sandy clay.

The teeth found here had not been stream tumbled, or pounded in the surf. They had been undisturbed since the shark lost lost it, and it settled to the bottom of what then was a warm shallow part of the Atlantic, a few hundred feet deep. A few times, I seriously sliced my fingers picking them up, they were so sharp.

I thought this tooth might be of interest. It's actual size is just over an inch long.

Click to enlarge.

IMG_3503.JPG

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Midwest was a huge ocean at times millions of years ago. I wonder why no sharks teeth in the interior areas? Gary

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That omg is freaking amazing how old it is wow

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice close-up pic of an attractive tooth. I found 3 yesterday about the same size (a bad day hunting...). I've had days of finding several dozen Hemis here. They are a common find along Calvert Cliffs. A good tooth for silver wire wrap for a necklace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread