What's new

Snake Fossil?

RichPA

Full Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
I joined the forum about 1 1/2 months ago and have been posting in the artifacts forum. This was found in association with alot of artifacts. I figure the natives found it interesting and brought it back to camp. Is this a snake fossil? It was found in Southwest PA in a drainage to the Ohio River.
 

Attachments

  • Snake Fossil.webp
    Snake Fossil.webp
    127.6 KB · Views: 811
Looks like a piece of cycad tree trunk
 
:icon_scratch: these guys are here are good :thumbsup:
Nice fossil.
 
SnakemanBill said:
Looks like a piece of cycad tree trunk

Knowing next to nothing about ancient flora / fauna, my first impression was of the bark on a palm tree.

Diggem'
 
Thanks for your responses. The natives may have thought snake like me . I was told by a friend that it may be palm bark. I researched that cycad can be misclassified as a palm. Your knowledge is much appreciated. I will try to post pics of what I think is a fossilized tooth.
 
SnakemanBill said:
Looks like a piece of cycad tree trunk

Probably not cycad. They were restricted to the southern continents, then(if they had even evolved by then).

By "then", I refer to the Late Paleozoic.

More likely a lycopsid, but something still doesn't look right. I have seen that before, but I can't place it???
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom