Snohomish county find

Miss M

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment IMG_20180305_093145385.jpg View attachment IMG_20180305_093234236.jpg this is a small piece off of the big rock itself. The large rock have tiny pits or caves all over it with what appears to be clear stones that are oily looking. It is a translucent rock. If a flashlight is held to it it shines through. The rock itself is 120 lb specimen. Please help me identify this beauty. And if possible tell me the round about value. Thank you

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should try posting this in the Rock/Gem section of the forums.... Possibly blue agate but I'm not an expert on mineral identification. Nice find though but I do recommend posting this in the rock/gem section. They would love to see this.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First welcome. The bluish color probably comes from copper minerals. What are of the country? The local geology will most times tell the tale.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Both blue agate and blue tinted quartz of various shades are known in western Washington. The most notable being Ellensburg Blue. The most favored examples are those that can be easily cut to jewelry and carved to different objects.

Still time for more coffee.

OP
OP
M

Miss M

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thank you all for looking. And posting. I will for sure repost in the rock gem forum. And see what I can come up with. Thanks again

ChefRaene

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2018
PNW
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Miss M, your find is beautiful!! Were you out hounding or did you happen upon it?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That came out of Snohomish? Wow...I gotta get back down
there and do some more rock hounding..:occasion14:

As for value, it's worth what someone will pay for it. :icon_thumleft:

Galenrog, Ellensburg is in Eastern Wa, on the East side of the
Cascades. That Ellensburg Blue is some pretty stuff, but from
what I've heard it's only found in one small area.

penggali

Jan 30, 2018
WA
Detector(s) used
AT pro W. 5x8 DD coil.
Equinox (soon?)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the board. that is a great find. I am originally from Snohomish county (Everett), lots of cool and interesting things to find in the Cascades for sure

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice chunk of agate in host rock. The thickness gives it the bluish color. The thinner the slice, the more grey it will be. Born and raised north of Marysville. Did you find it in a new rock pit in the mountains? Or a new rock slide? It looks fresh. Had I found it, I would call it a keeper, as for value, not so much, although what people pay for minerals on ebay surprises me. Good luck. That is not an Ellensburg Blue.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread