Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doctor should be releasing me into the wild next week...but snuck out of my cage the other day
for a little while. Went to an old spot that has been hammered - havent been there since 2018
Last time i was there - i hit way out and got sinkers and musket balls. Spot has been hit by many from chest on in ...so
i usually go out to my limits - last time there while heading in...i was like in waist deep water long after low
and got a silver halve down over a foot and was surprised it had been missed...I had scooped it and headed in to
find out how friends had done and and was shocked when i saw large black disc in scoop - they were too
had i known i would have stayed in that spot and hit it slower but they were ready to leave.

This time i did my usual and headed way out with mask & snorkel - it was really quite. I got a couple of musketballs
and a few sinkers. I had planned on trying to do a water vid but viz was horrible - could barely see my hand
I was happy just to get in - this spot is not for the new guy...it rarely sees any swimmers and is popular more with
fishermen now. It was popular 100+ yrs ago and has given a handful of hunters some nice old gold and silver
over the yrs. along with a few relics, a bunch of musket balls and some CW era minies too.
I decided to call it a quick day and headed into shallows towards my GF sitting on shore remembering the last time
I made this same path. I was in a spot with some larger rocks and fought to make it thru. I got a few lures and
a few sinkers and then got a loud blast. I figured large iron others had passed or a recent can. I clicked over
to ID mode and got a high tone which is usually good on the CZ. It took three scooped down to finally get it out
and i was shocked what it was - large old brass door knocker. Others must have thought it was large junk. Hurricane
wiped out 100s of houses here in 1938 - I can only guess it came from one of those. I walked like 3 ft away and got
a faint hit and thought it might be a small lead sinker or musketball down deep. Took 2 deep scoops straight down to
retrieve and was shocked to see it was another large black crusted disc from well over a foot down. Wow another half...
but no. I flipped coin back and forth and cold not notice anything familiar on it. No Franklin...no walking lady...no Barber.
Finally i could make out head of King George on it and thought i might have a silver Canadian half, but could
not make out the back as anything looking being on a Canadian coin. I placed in my pouch and worked area slower
and was able to pull up some thin older clad. Called it a day.
Got to shore and GF asked anything good and told i had a large silver coin. Pulled it from pouch and
handed to her and she asked what is it? I was getting out of my gear and told her to rub it a little (place joke here)
I told her to turn it over and wet it a little (go ahead...make another) and asked if she could make out
half dollar or half crown - told her half dollar would be from Canada - half crown would be UK most likely. She saw half crown
and said it looked like 1947...turned out to be 1942. So I did not get skunked and got a coin i have not found before.
Hoping i can start getting out more and have more to show in the future :icon_thumleft:
Sorry for the horrible pics - used a sub par camera... my old reliable crapped the bed last month - going to
have to look for another.
DSCF0022.JPG DSCF0019.JPG

Upvote 26
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what it would look like - i dont clean my saltwater silver much - they just get tossed at the end of each year into my
coffee table display case
md_239-408-1610o.jpg md_239-408-1610r.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Great to see you got out and snagged a nice keeper, Casper. Grats and more luck next time out!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you're back out scratching your itch! :laughing7::icon_thumleft:

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the finds.

Evan in CA

Dec 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper I would love to see a pic of you coffee table display case. You have the best treasure pics with all the gold and silver finds you make.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper I would love to see a pic of you coffee table display case. You have the best treasure pics with all the gold and silver finds you make.
Ive been detecting since 1975 age 12 - just about everything from first 20 yrs is gone - been divorced twice - I got a few coins from those times
relics and jewelry from back then - gone
This is a pic when i first moved into my house in 2007 and was emptying ryker boxes out(look at upper right=empty bpxes)
into it with finds from like 1997 on up
table is now full and I need t take a new pic and i still have other rykers full and boxes and other containers all over the house
attachment.php

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is an end table with finds - once again an older pic
attachment.php

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN and a lot of others have better and more than I - i believe :icon_thumright:
I do okay for someone that lives 1 1/2 to 2 hrs away from the saltwater spots i hit and not being retired and
being from New England where swimming time is shorter than most other states
2012 was one of my better yrs - did pretty good in 2013-14-15
health issues since then have kept me from getting out as much but i still get a keeper or two when i do
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z25g56LhkEv_fdD_Gglsg/videos

have you read my articles?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story and a great coin. I like all those sinkers too, as I still fish once in a while. Congrats.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score Casper- Congrats!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to need some lally columns under that table!!!

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, how have you been, Baker let you go out haha, nice finds and coffee table, hope all is well

Evan in CA

Dec 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t seen you articles. Thanks for the links. I assumed you lived right on the beach lol and you sure do dam good still.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t seen you articles. Thanks for the links. I assumed you lived right on the beach lol and you sure do dam good still.
could not imagine if i did live closer...lot of my current "idols" do live right there or are real close and are retired and can go out everyday
i have short time at most spots and gotta pick between spots to hit - some times i pic good one ...others ive picked badly
where they just do a different spot each day
Im jealous :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions