Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SO EXCITED! Three firsts for me tonight. I couldn't be more tickled

I got lucky today and got permission to hunt the yard of a very nice younger couple. The house there now was built in 1937 and they told me it replaced a much older one so I was excited. It cooled off nicely this evening so I just had to go see what was there.

Until this evening I had never found a V nickel, a foreign coin, or a coin pre-1900. Now I won't really count the Brazil coin as actually being in the pre-1900 club but it is from 1871. I also found a 1944 Canadian quarter. I also found 5 wheat pennies that I haven't cleaned up enough yet to get dates.The home owners told me the man they bought the house from ran a store in town that his father had opened in the late 20s. And also that he and his wife loved to travel. Both of which might explain the foreign coins. Anyway, here are some pretty bad photos. It was too dark to take pictures outside in natural light when I got home. So I snapped these sitting at my desk.

As I don't plan to sell my found coins I first try to clean them with baking soda and water making a paste. That worked fantastic for the Canadian quarter which shined up like new. The V nickel and the Brazil coin I had to use some Flitz polish to get them to look nice.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting.

Upvote 21

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job beez! That V is in great shape for being dug, they can really come out of the ground nasty looking.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It musta took a hella lot of elbow grease to shine up that there nickel.

Actually it didn't take much elbow grease. The nickel was sitting face up about 3" down in what used to be part of their gravel driveway. The back side was actually fairly clean when I found it. The front could not be cleaned well with soap, water and a toothbrush. So I used Flitz on it and it came out nice. The front of the coin to me looks pretty warn. The back side is nicer.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, Beez. Most V's come out as red as a 65 Washington, if not worse, lol. That Brazillian coin most certainly counts. First one of those I think I have seen. Was the guy watching you because he didn't know you or because he was interested in what you found?

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, Beez. Most V's come out as red as a 65 Washington, if not worse, lol. That Brazillian coin most certainly counts. First one of those I think I have seen. Was the guy watching you because he didn't know you or because he was interested in what you found?

I think a little of both. He had found a merc in the back yard tilling up a garden space and I wasn't given permission to hunt the back yard. Both the V nickel and Canadian quarter were on the edge of their driveway about 2-3 inches down in gravel. He came out when he saw me dig the V nickel cause I might have done a little fist pump. And he came out when I dug a 65' Washington quarter cause I did a "so close" hand clap.

eagleforce

Mar 15, 2010
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all the firsts! I still have never found a V yet. Nice old coins!!

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs you have there.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Jay. The early nickels are some of my favorite. Most times the hunters that cherry pick leave the nickel and penny signals for the silver. Great detail on yours. Got my oldest last month. 1870 Shield. HH JR

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground was really nice to that nickel !

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The difference between a 1700s real and his Brazilian coin is that the real was once considered viable American currency, while the Brazilian coin would never have been accepted in America. If I had found that I would be glad to have found such an old novelty but I would not consider it enough to join the 1800s club.

However...since TNet has members from around the world, the club criteria isn't so narrow. I guess it depends on how you rate your own find.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've yet to break the 1900 barrier and hope to this year. Three nice firsts for you. WTG.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference between a 1700s real and his Brazilian coin is that the real was once considered viable American currency, while the Brazilian coin would never have been accepted in America. If I had found that I would be glad to have found such an old novelty but I would not consider it enough to join the 1800s club. However...since TNet has members from around the world, the club criteria isn't so narrow. I guess it depends on how you rate your own find.
Whaaat?a real real? That must be in the AT pro manual,! Welcome to Club BEEZ 1870s if legal tender or good luck coin dropped last week is still 1870s!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm afraid I have to lean towards CTI's way of thinking on this one. As much as I would like to break into the 1800s club I want to do it with a coin that was/is considered an acceptable form of currency here in the USA. So I'll start carrying that Brazilian coin in my pocket for good luck and hope it leads me to a legitimate find. I have a place that could potentially be good. I got permission to hunt the property of a house that was built in 1900 and lived in by the supervisor of a large cotton mill. He had 2 kids and being the supervisor maybe he had a little extra pocket change to give to the rug rats. And hopefully they weren't careful with it, or had holes in their pocket and lost it playing in the yard. I can only hunt there on weekends so if either tomorrow or Sunday are cool enough and not raining I'll get my first shot there. Wish me luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread