Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SO EXCITED! Three firsts for me tonight. I couldn't be more tickled

I got lucky today and got permission to hunt the yard of a very nice younger couple. The house there now was built in 1937 and they told me it replaced a much older one so I was excited. It cooled off nicely this evening so I just had to go see what was there.

Until this evening I had never found a V nickel, a foreign coin, or a coin pre-1900. Now I won't really count the Brazil coin as actually being in the pre-1900 club but it is from 1871. I also found a 1944 Canadian quarter. I also found 5 wheat pennies that I haven't cleaned up enough yet to get dates.The home owners told me the man they bought the house from ran a store in town that his father had opened in the late 20s. And also that he and his wife loved to travel. Both of which might explain the foreign coins. Anyway, here are some pretty bad photos. It was too dark to take pictures outside in natural light when I got home. So I snapped these sitting at my desk.

As I don't plan to sell my found coins I first try to clean them with baking soda and water making a paste. That worked fantastic for the Canadian quarter which shined up like new. The V nickel and the Brazil coin I had to use some Flitz polish to get them to look nice.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting.

Upvote 21

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely count the 1871 Brazil coin as joining the 1800's club. I consider myself part of the 1700's club with my Spanish 1776 half real, so why shouldn't your coin count? It's a great find!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tim, when the knees and back finally give out and I can't get out and dig anymore and still haven't found a US coin from pre 1900 I will probably count that Brazilian coin....LOL

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice digs, beez0404! :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! Congrats my man. Those are some awesome finds. That V nickel is super sweet!

I agree with you about the coin from Brazil, it should NOT count as a real 1800s coin. If it did that would put you in the 1800s club with me... and... well, let's just not go there.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the dates say it all, congrats

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds ! Cleaned up nice too.

But, if the Brazil is not pre-1900 because it's not American, than a 1734 British Half penny doesn't count as 1700's. LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job buddy on some awesome firsts! More to come in your future

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job buddy on some awesome firsts! More to come in your future

As I told you the other day I have pages and pages of coins and relics with no check marks next to them. SO I have lots of firsts available...LOL

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coins ! Congrats on all your finds !
Glen

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds ! Cleaned up nice too.
QUOTE]

I swear by that Flitz metal polish. It's what I use on my guns and knives. It not only polishes them up nice but put a protective coating on them which prevents oxidation. The way I figure it the coin coming out of the ground is pretty scratched up already by nature. And since I am keeping them I don't mind if the polish adds a few more micro scratches as long as they're clean and shiny for display.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great trifecta of "firsts"! Congrats! Definitely try to get back there, you may be bringing home some big silver soon!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great trifecta of "firsts"! Congrats! Definitely try to get back there, you may be bringing home some big silver soon!

Their yard was very small. I took my time and covered it pretty well. It was a little unsettling with the man sitting in the living room watching me out the picture window. When I dug a 1965 quarter and made a gesture like a grrrr....so close to silver, he came out to see what I had found. I might not get back in their yard but do have the whole vacant lot next door to detect. Probably been hit already but at one time had a late 1800s house sitting on it so who knows what lurks below.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi beez, great yard to hunt for sure! Nice foreign coins too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread