jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn yall are harsh, Maybe you can bully him into a soil sample while your at it. Geeze.

a soil sample sounds Good :thumbsup:

Seriously Though, Nobody is Bullying him or being harsh that I see.
Just a Friendly Simple request. Most people show all their finds for the day when they post.
especially when the best find is in something it is usually automatic to show that too.

if I found a penny wrapped in foil, I'd photograph the foil :laughing7:

He is apparently More Busy then the rest of us,
Or ignoring us. That's his decision, But we still would like to see the "Whole Find"

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Because of the squabbling, I didn't want to participate in this discussion... but I see that some 100%-certain facts are needed. First... civil war era swords were not stamped with their Model-year. The date on the sword's blade is its year-of-manufacture. Second... since a websearch for the name "Mitteh" on a sword turned up nothing, I enlarged your photo to check the spelling. I could see that the name stamped into this sword's blade is not "MITTEH" -- it is "MITTER." So, I did a websearch for that name and the word "sword." The only result I got which is relevant to your sword says a man named J. Mitter was listed in an 1853 catalog as a sword and knife maker in Austria. Mitter Swords That info confirms that your sword has the German/Austrian style of "D-shaped guard" hilt. Note that the sword's "grip" has a "backstrap" running along the full length of the top of the grip. ESPECIALLY, note that the grip's backstrap has a half-round tab at the middle of its edge. That is a crucially important ID-clue. It is a characteristic of European-made swords from the mid-1800s through early-1900s. I also did a websearch of swords used in the American civil war. For example: Swords You can see a similar version of grip-with-backstrap on a German-made sword at the following link... but notice that the backstrap does not have the half-round tab. Swords, Officer, non-regulation, F Potter Also: Swords, Officer, non-regulation, unknown Soligen maker You've only showed us the sword's guard from the side. We need a full view of its top. Also need to know, is the guard made of brass or of iron.
Im late getting in on this but cannonballguy, you're awesome.

I have had doubt since the beginning as to the condition and being underground, so is it plausible to be in that condition even with 15 years underground? I don't care what it was wrapped in, moisture and O2=rust (fancy science).

More pics from the finder would help.

-Happy Hunting!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, this really stirred up a lot of people, got a lot people researching and thinking. one way or another, it is a really awesome sword. when I find something in the ground, the first thing I see is the item... then it is, is it real or not or what is it. all I know at this point is that I dug it up out of the ground, real or not, I dug it. it is very exciting at that moment but some of these finds can get very complicated very quickly from what I have seen. Having said that, I totally understand about things being faked and people being cautious as things get sorted out. I still believe we have a bunch of great people here.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool find, no matter when it was buried. I too would really like to see the cloth it was wrapped in, there's just got to be some kind of clue involved with it. It. Would be great for all the knowledgeable people on this site to view it.

That being said, maybe the OP is shy about posting his nasty sack for the world to see hahaha

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys, I have been reading all this info, and have looked over the photo of the sword. First of all, why would anyone bury an item such as this 3 feet deep? The only reason I can think of would be if the sword were buried in some kind of trash pit. If THIS is the case, then the OP needs to do some sifting in that same hole. There would never be a need to bury an item this deep otherwise. I am a Florida native, and have been metal detecting for 44 years. I have also worked with the local Archaeologists for decades. The sword is a great find, but it has NOT been in the ground for a long long time IMO. All of what I just stated was my very first impression after seeing the photos and reading the story.

However, I must admit, there are exceptions to every rule. I friend in a local detecting club brought a find in just last year that blew all of what I said before out the door. He found a 1850's French percussion musket or shot gun near the surface in a pine flat in sugar sand. I was blown away by its condition. Believe it or not, the wood was all still there. It was split in places, but it was still there! After he had it cleaned, you could plainly read the makers name, and all the other markings. If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I never would have believed it. I don't believe that it was in the ground all those years, but who knows?

My doubts are brought on more by what I'm NOT seeing, like the bag it was buried in. Maybe the OP is just busy, finding more goodies, but we would ALL like to see more photos sometime.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great find!!
Cannonballguy, as always your knowledge is simply amazing!!
As far as the nasty sack, well I never thought I would see the day so many guys would want to see someones nasty sack! :laughing7: jk!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friggin' awesome find.

I'll bet you were surprised when you dug it up and it wasn't a piece of pipe!!

That's an amazing find. I can only imagine how you must have felt when you realized what you had.
Congratulations.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a soil sample sounds Good :thumbsup:

Seriously Though, Nobody is Bullying him or being harsh that I see.
Just a Friendly Simple request. Most people show all their finds for the day when they post.
especially when the best find is in something it is usually automatic to show that too.

if I found a penny wrapped in foil, I'd photograph the foil :laughing7:

He is apparently More Busy then the rest of us,
Or ignoring us. That's his decision, But we still would like to see the "Whole Find"

For example
View attachment 1048988

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your sword and making banner!

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could find a sword. Thats a good find

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific find. Sorry I missed the vote - been busy, but you certainly didn't need help making the banner with that awesome find.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your sword find, very nice, IMHO, to me it doesn't matter how long the sword may have been buried, it's irrelevant, the fact that you found it is relevant!!!

Also congratulations of your making the Banner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions