Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really have no opinion either way on validity, but . . . .. There's really no way of knowing HOW LONG the sword has been buried. It could have been buried last month or last year. It could have spent its earlier days hanging over someone's mantel, then for some reason removed and hidden.

At any rate, it's a neat find and CONGRATULATIONS!

:)
Breezie

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, congratulations!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because of the squabbling, I didn't want to participate in this discussion... but I see that some 100%-certain facts are needed.

First... civil war era swords were not stamped with their Model-year. The date on the sword's blade is its year-of-manufacture.

Second... since a websearch for the name "Mitteh" on a sword turned up nothing, I enlarged your photo to check the spelling. I could see that the name stamped into this sword's blade is not "MITTEH" -- it is "MITTER." So, I did a websearch for that name and the word "sword." The only result I got which is relevant to your sword says a man named J. Mitter was listed in an 1853 catalog as a sword and knife maker in Austria.
Mitter Swords

That info confirms that your sword has the German/Austrian style of "D-shaped guard" hilt. Note that the sword's "grip" has a "backstrap" running along the full length of the top of the grip. ESPECIALLY, note that the grip's backstrap has a half-round tab at the middle of its edge. That is a crucially important ID-clue. It is a characteristic of European-made swords from the mid-1800s through early-1900s.

I also did a websearch of swords used in the American civil war. For example:
Swords

You can see a similar version of grip-with-backstrap on a German-made sword at the following link... but notice that the backstrap does not have the half-round tab.
Swords, Officer, non-regulation, F Potter
Also:
Swords, Officer, non-regulation, unknown Soligen maker

You've only showed us the sword's guard from the side. We need a full view of its top. Also need to know, is the guard made of brass or of iron.

Last edited:

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note I was watching "Pawn Stars" and a guy brought in a sword that was called a wrist breaker due to the swords heft. It was supposedly only worth value due to the fact it both had a german makers stamp and tiffany ' s on the sword base.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I could easily believe its a 1851 year made MITTER MADE --Austrian / GERMAN TYPE "P" HILT SWORD / SABER ---

MITTE IN GERMAN MEANS "GROUP' AS IN ARMY GROUP --H OF COURSE COULD MEAN --GROUP H -- 1851 AND MITTEH WAS WHAT I WAS GOING OFF BASED UPON DATA GIVEN TO ME BY THE POSTER ...

Last edited:

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , that is such a cool find , would be on my Bucket list of discoveries , congrats ..cheers Mick

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because of the squabbling, I didn't want to participate in this discussion... but I see that some 100%-certain facts are needed.

First... civil war era swords were not stamped with their Model-year. The date on the sword's blade is its year-of-manufacture.

Second... since a websearch for the name "Mitteh" on a sword turned up nothing, I enlarged your photo to check the spelling. I could see that the name stamped into this sword's blade is not "MITTEH" -- it is "MITTER." So, I did a websearch for that name and the word "sword." The only result I got which is relevant to your sword says a man named J. Mitter was listed in an 1853 catalog as a sword and knife maker in Austria.
Mitter Swords

That info confirms that your sword has the German/Austrian style of "P" hilt. Note that the sword's "grip" has a "backstrap" running along the full length of the top of the grip. ESPECIALLY, note that the grip's backstrap has a half-round tab at the middle of its edge. That is a crucially important ID-clue. It is a characteristic of European-made swords from the mid-1800s through early-1900s.

I also did a websearch of swords used in the American civil war. For example:
Swords

You can see a similar version of grip-with-backstrap on a German-made sword at the following link... but notice that the backstrap does not have the half-round tab.
Swords, Officer, non-regulation, F Potter
Also:
Swords, Officer, non-regulation, unknown Soligen maker

You've only showed us the sword's guard from the side. We need a full view of its top. Also need to know, is the guard made of brass or of iron.

CBG - you ARE da man!:thumbsup:
your knowledge and willingness to share / help never ceases to amaze me.

Why has TNet not made you an Honorary Charted member yet? :dontknow:

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a more recent "P" guard sword that I own...it is a cheaper, fraternal order type sword or...sometimes called a WW1 sword.

View attachment 1048519

And the one that I mentioned from Dade's battle....A German made sword that was in Florida in 1835...

View attachment 1048520

Not a whole lot of difference...The scabbards are about the same as well.

Officers (or anyone that wanted one) bought their own swords, and for a long time, there were no real regulations on what was used, so it makes it real hard to pin some of them down to certain events without a pre-existing story, or a find from a known fort, battlefield, etc.

It's a cool find, and would be an awesome experience to have dug it up, regardless of how it got there, or for how long!

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your sword find Jon! :occasion14:
Definitely a once in a lifetime find, good on you for not stopping the dig!

Dave

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a more recent "P" guard sword that I own...it is a cheaper, fraternal order type sword or...sometimes called a WW1 sword.

View attachment 1048519

And the one that I mentioned from Dade's battle....A German made sword that was in Florida in 1835...

View attachment 1048520

Not a whole lot of difference...The scabbards are about the same as well.

Officers (or anyone that wanted one) bought their own swords, and for a long time, there were no real regulations on what was used, so it makes it real hard to pin some of them down to certain events without a pre-existing story, or a find from a known fort, battlefield, etc.

It's a cool find, and would be an awesome experience to have dug it up, regardless of how it got there, or for how long!

Might want to look at your "dove head" Jon . I have one by Alcoso with War markings it is worth a couple good detectors. Did the OP ever reply about the cloth found with it?

Sep 9, 2012
proctorville OH
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I - Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubts here ! Congrats on a real nice piece of history. But reading all of the posts there have been several requests to see the cloth that the sword was buried in, still waiting.

Great find! but i dont understand how hard is it to take a pic of the cloth,which has been asked about . considering this is not to prove any validation but to help in dating and part of the history,
:icon_scratch:

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to look at your "dove head" Jon . I have one by Alcoso with War markings it is worth a couple good detectors. Did the OP ever reply about the cloth found with it?

Thanks!

I'll check it out!

He said the cloth was drying off, and he would try to get us some pics...

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
you are one lucky son of a gun. Dream find for me! Unbelievable! Just gorgeous.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it sounds like to me that the handle as gone before it was buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread