🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SOLVED: please see solution below.

---------Original post------------

Hi everyone. I ducked out for about 90 minutes this afternoon to a local field and found mostly modern clad ($1.30 worth) and a single wheat penny.
The only other interesting item was this... case? I have no real idea what this is, other than something that is hinged and used to close with a little clasp that's still attached (visible in the 3rd pic).
But what is the metal on the interior, with the teeth? What did this case hold? Cigarettes maybe?

I can't find any letters anywhere on the item.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

(And sorry - I hit it with the shovel...oops....)

YkYNXRE.jpg
cAUvhA2.jpg
Rl3CfW5.jpg

---------Solution-----------
Before throwing the item away I decided to take a wire brush to various parts of the item. I figured, "no one would work make something like this and not label it - somewhere."
Well, hidden under corrosion on one of the middle metal parts (with the teeth) was the following logo: "Wholpack Nickel Silver Patent Apl'd for Made in U.S.A". That was all I needed to find the item.

It turns out it's an antique (1919 era, per a listing on eBay) Cigarette Case. Wow - I guessed right a few days ago!

Here's the logo I found, and a picture of what the case would look like if in good condition.

CDxYOyL.jpg
rJQuMQC.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't a clue...

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a ladies compact. Google vintage square ladies compact. The one by Coty looks similar with the same type of lines on the compact. It would have held a powder puff and a mirror along with the powder, that would be why the hinged separations.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mystery Solved. Please see updated post.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add a bit more for you. The cigarette case is by Wightman & Hough of Providence, Rhode Island. The 'Wholpack' patent application was filed on 12th March 1921 and published in the Official Gazette of the US Patent Office on 31st July 1923, so that gives you a fairly narrow date range for anything that says "patent pending".

Holpack.jpg

'Nickel Silver' is, as I'm sure you already know, a base metal alloy that contains no silver but is suitable for electro-plating.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool I thought cigarette case too but I thought it was way to thick, since most were thin. Never thought they made cases for whole packs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread