What's new

Some Bone Tools For You Viewing Pleasure

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Bone Tools For Your Viewing Pleasure

I haven't found much lately so I thought I'd post some of my Bone Tools and invite everyone to join in and post theirs. Lets see if we can can a great thread on Bone Tools going guys and gals.

A lot of these are personal finds and some are pieces I have acquired through trade or by buying. As you can see I love Bone Tools. lol
 

Attachments

  • Awls08.webp
    Awls08.webp
    118.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Awls09.webp
    Awls09.webp
    148.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Awls13.webp
    Awls13.webp
    179.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Awls16.webp
    Awls16.webp
    173.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Awls17.webp
    Awls17.webp
    165.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Awls11.webp
    Awls11.webp
    130.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Awls12.webp
    Awls12.webp
    122.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Feurt Site Collection (14).webp
    Feurt Site Collection (14).webp
    94.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0095.webp
    DSC_0095.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Hamilton County Ft Ancient (1).webp
    Hamilton County Ft Ancient (1).webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Hamilton County Ft Ancient (9).webp
    Hamilton County Ft Ancient (9).webp
    98.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Hamilton County Ft Ancient (22).webp
    Hamilton County Ft Ancient (22).webp
    98.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Hamilton County Ft Ancient (30).webp
    Hamilton County Ft Ancient (30).webp
    97 KB · Views: 139
  • Hamilton County Ft Ancient (40).webp
    Hamilton County Ft Ancient (40).webp
    94.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Hamilton County Ft Ancient.webp
    Hamilton County Ft Ancient.webp
    94.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Schisler Site (8).webp
    Schisler Site (8).webp
    95.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Schisler Site (9).webp
    Schisler Site (9).webp
    79.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Schisler Site (10).webp
    Schisler Site (10).webp
    100.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Schisler Site (18).webp
    Schisler Site (18).webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Schisler Site (19).webp
    Schisler Site (19).webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Schisler Site (20).webp
    Schisler Site (20).webp
    128 KB · Views: 108
  • Schisler Site (21).webp
    Schisler Site (21).webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_6558.webp
    100_6558.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0118.webp
    DSC_0118.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0125.webp
    DSC_0125.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Mandan Artifacts (6).webp
    Mandan Artifacts (6).webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Mandan Artifacts (12).webp
    Mandan Artifacts (12).webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Mandan Artifacts (31).webp
    Mandan Artifacts (31).webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Mandan Artifacts (79).webp
    Mandan Artifacts (79).webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Mandan Artifacts (108).webp
    Mandan Artifacts (108).webp
    39 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gator--Found about 100 ft. from the maul ("Fishing for hardstone" post) I posted yesterday. Find tons of pottery in the same area. Usually the only remnants of animals we find in the area are buffalo teeth. When I saw these I knew I had seen something similar before on T-Net(I think one of Larson's old posts). Low and behold Grim puts up this post and one of his pictures has something very similar. Here's a picture of the backsides.
IMG_20130610_104702_756.webp
 
Depending on the different bone tools commonly found in your area and the different tasks performed with them my guess would be anywhere from ..the back of two broken awls.. a quill polishing tool or even a couple pottery smoothing tools.
Those knaw marks are pretty common to trash pit and midden bone.
I'd put my money on two broken awls.
 
Here are a few awls and other great artifacts from North Dakota that were a very gracious gift from our friend Larson.

ForumRunner_20130610_183327.webp
 
nice artifacts:icon_thumright:
 
Some nice Bone artifacts on here and I'll add some new ones I've found or obtained. Feel free to add any of your finds or acquisitions.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    340.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    405.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    304.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    621.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    286.7 KB · Views: 52
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    715.6 KB · Views: 54
BoneItems.webpBonePin052507.webpBonePin060307.webpichbone2.webpichbone1.webpnetguage1.webpBone turns black in many FL rivers esp when silicified/old. Shell middens preserve bone artifacts pretty well.SFbonepin1.webpAll these are from middens except the small 2" black "pin", which may be a gorge, and the odd larger, much thicker silicified socketed bone "point?" Black ones from Santa Fe and Ichetucknee Rivers and the others are PinCo.
 
Last edited:
After looking at all of these pics in this thread I feel like I got boned. I don't have any to share.

My father used to look for artifacts out west. He had at one time a couple of frames in near perfect condition. He's gone so I can't ask but I'm guessing they were out of caves in the mountains.
 
Last edited:
Gator--Found about 100 ft. from the maul ("Fishing for hardstone" post) I posted yesterday. Find tons of pottery in the same area. Usually the only remnants of animals we find in the area are buffalo teeth. When I saw these I knew I had seen something similar before on T-Net(I think one of Larson's old posts). Low and behold Grim puts up this post and one of his pictures has something very similar. Here's a picture of the backsides.
View attachment 811372

What you have looks like a split rib, probably deer. I doubt if they split easily without human intervention. Here's a couple of photos of a mastodon split rib segment (about 1" x 1.5") from a site in Morrow County, Ohio. Dr Gramly has ID'd a number of these from this site as sawed tablets, use unknown. This one shows extreme mineralization, shiny areas on smooth side and it's hard as ceramic.

mastodonrib.webpMastodonribobverse.webp
 
I wish I knew more about bone tools and the uses thanks to Grim I have some knowledge.

20190917_182614.webp20190917_182646.webp20190917_183121.webp
20190917_183130.webp20190917_181549.webp20190917_183407.webp20190917_183407.webp20190917_183335.webp20190917_183418.webp20190917_182032.webp20190917_182053.webp

Sorry had to sneak this one in lol! Not a bone tool but very rare find of a Mountain Lion skull

20190917_184119.webp20190917_184150.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom